The follow up to LT40...?

Current and future games
wieder

The follow up to LT40...?

Post by wieder »

We have lots of players who would like to play the game while also not using several hours each day doing so.

Adding this didn't give everyone techs at least 18 players already knew. Does anyone know how do do that? The idea would be giving everyone all the techs known by at least n players. For the follow up to LT40 this number could be considerably smaller. Like maybe giving a tech to everyone when 30% of the players know it. This would allow some players to become more advanced compared to the others but also would keep everyone competitive enough until the end.

[effect_free_techs]
type = "Tech_Parasite"
value = 18
reqs =
{ "type", "name", "range"
"Building", "Palace", "Player"
}

Any other ideas how to make the game to take less time from the players?

The city limits could be between 15-20 instead of the current 22-29 maybe? The map could be smaller.
Corbeau

Post by Corbeau »

Kryon wrote:I think the best way to make turns shorter is to limit each turn to X minutes.
Uh... no...

"How do I get my electricity bill to get smaller?"
"Simple. Have someone cut off your power from 10:00 to 20:00 every day."

I'm not sure you got the point of the question :)
fran

Post by fran »

Kryon wrote: I think the best way to make turns shorter is to limit each turn to X minutes.
Perhaps the top players should stop for a fraction of a second thinking about what would strengthen their own competitive stance and instead consider what is fair, interesting, and makes new and weak players stronger.
It's a contradiction in itself having 23h turns and limiting the time you actually can look at the map for a few minutes. Training and experience is more important than the size of the nation to manage. Such a setting strongly favours experienced and trained players both regarding gameplay and technically, because with enough effort you will be able to catch the data from the screen and look at it as long as you want. Also those players would be favoured that can rule out they will be disturbed during the X minutes they have. And that is clearly not the clientele wieder wants to help.

Another question is if the freeciv implementation as-is is well suited for the longturn format.
IMO it would be better to be able to stage all moves in advance and then commit them, like in git, and a "conflict resolution" aka battle or whatever happens later. That would rule out any RTS. Some game engines have it that way. But not this one, and that is what we have.