Colonial Africa scenario (1900)

Current and future games
Sketlux

Colonial Africa scenario (1900)

Post by Sketlux »

New to longturn! But I managed an"Africa anno 1900" scenario a year ago back at greatturn. I wanted to ask if someone would have the interest to play/get it started?

From Greatturn:
The scenario consists of the colonial powers of that time, Abyssinia, Liberia, Boer Republic, Marocco and some local tribes/kingdoms and a slave trader nation. The 12 colonial powers or independant African Nations have all the same tech level but different size in population and territory; the local tribemen have lower tech and strength and should be controlled by the ai. Because of missing data and time all the cities have the size 1 and don't have any structures inside (contrary to the WWI scenario). Each colony has proportionally to it's size a number of cavalry and artillery.

It's a beautifully crafted map of Africa and we played it with an "alliance balance system" wich worked very well by allowing big alliances for small countries and small to no alliances for big countries. It depended of course on the honesty of each player to hold the agreement. Winning by any means wasn't the goal of the game!

Write me back if you have interest!

Sketlux

(Former XYZ at GT)
wieder

Post by wieder »

I guess there could be scenario games here in LT. What would be needed for it? Do you have the ruleset and does it need fixing? What does size 1 cities mean?

How many players would we need for the game and if winning wasn't the goal, what would the end conditions be?
Sketlux

Post by Sketlux »

-I already have the map.
-we used the civ2/3 ruleset but I'm open for anything. Movement was 2x.
-Population 10'00 = city size 1
-I could manage the game but I would need someone for the technical part.
-12 players would be perfect (less important countries can still be played by the ai and some support nations could be under human control (Zulu nation, slave trader Tippu Tip...)
-Of course winning the game is the ultimate goal but since all players start with very different conditions its less emotional.

From Greatturn:
Here are the nations that can be played in the scenario. I categorized them by A,B,C,D. A= very big, B= big, C=medium, D=small. The size influences the alliance situation:

A= no alliance allowed
B= 1 alliance with a class D nation allowed
C= 2 alliances with a class D nation allowed or one alliance with a another class C allowed
D= as much class D alliances as you want or see above

A:

Britain
France

B:

Ottoman Empire
Germany (taken by wieder)

C:

Belgium
Portugal

D:

Abyssinia
Italy (taken by Sketlux)
Spain
Boer Republic
Morocco (taken by Temmikael)
Liberia

Edit: I can send the map to anyone who requests it
Last edited by Sketlux on Tue Sep 08, 2015 12:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Temmikael

Post by Temmikael »

Post me Temmikael . I like to see map and interest to join. i like to play D/C class.
wieder

Post by wieder »

How big the map is?
Sketlux

Post by Sketlux »

It's basically the map of Africa here: http://civland.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=837 (scroll to the middle)

I altered a lot the texture of the map and added missing islands, lakes, special, mountians, rivers and added cities and railways plus units. You can also see there a "promotion" pic that sums up the idea.

Size is: 110x128 but mind that tech is from around 1900

I would prefer to unveil the map to whoever hosts it than to the players since you can use that knowledge to your advantage.

There is also a great WWI scenario put together with Nimmrod and in the final breaths of GT I also created a Game of Thrones scenario.

The WWI scenario can be found here if someone is interested: http://civland.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=74&t=718
Last edited by Sketlux on Sat Sep 05, 2015 8:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
wieder

Post by wieder »

I could think myself as playing Germany. East Germany is the nation I usually play :)

I suppose this game was already revealed in the GP games so it might be reasonable to play it safe and reveal the map in the settings. Or maybe not. I'm really not sure. I guess it's a 2.3 game? 2.3 is not a problem but if it's 2.4 there might be issues. We are only now figuring out how to switch from 2.3 to 2.5 and the first LT game with 2.5 is planned to start in a month or few months.

With LT35 I'm doing the stuff for ruleset, forum announcements and some stuff related to the forum admining and web site stuff. All the technical stuff regarding the game server is done by akfaew. We could split the tasks to make it easy for everyone. You could set up the ruleset and the map and check the players. I could do the web site stuff like forum and akfaew could manage the server. With this few nations the player picking process should probably need more than just joining the game since idlers would be poison.
Sketlux

Post by Sketlux »

Germany is definetely worth playing, the only downer is that you can't play it with the correct flag. My Imperial Germany (1871-1918) ruleset was never admitted to Freeciv :-(

The settings can of course be published, I just don't want to spoil the exploring factor at the beginning.

Don't recall wich version it was...

Map is ready and I could check the players, only problem is that I have no idea about rulesets. Just know that the sciencebox was 450 and that trading was a problem. I havent played the game for a very long time...

Yeah, definetely idlers can destroy the game specially if people are unwilling to adapt to a new form game.
wieder

Post by wieder »

Maybe you could upload the ruleset you had when you planned the game for GT? Longturn doesn't have a place for uploads but I suppose you could find one supporting zip files or maybe you can use github for that. You can leave the map out of the zip file.

We had lots of discussion about the actual ruleset settings but the current settings used on LT games do not mean that a scenario should use similar settings. They are there just for the LT games.

Sciencebox was 450? Sounds like the players are not supposed to research that much. It of course makes sense if it's supposed to be a 1900 era game.
Sketlux

Post by Sketlux »

Unfortunately I don't have it. It was stored by Davide/GT and the link to to that specific page is broken... But we used the civ2/3 ruleset with little changes.

I guess its enough if we change movement to 2x, movement on rivers 3x and sciencebox to 400-450. We should restrict trade somehow but I leave that to the experts.

The scienceresearch kept well pace with the actual time frame wich was good.
wieder

Post by wieder »

How about the techs players get when the game begins? If I understood correctly, the techs should be roughly on the year 1900 level when the game begins?

LT31 was the first LT game based on Civ2Civ3. LT32 was based on LT31 and had some additional changes. LT33 was based on LT32 with more changes. LT34 was the first game I administrated and there were even more changes and it was based on LT33. The same goes for LT35. All the games have the basic ideas from Civ2Civ3 and trade routes are disabled because of the issues. In some games tech/gold trading was disabled or limited because there were too popular "exploits" with that.
Sketlux

Post by Sketlux »

I gave everybody the tech already together with an amount of units and gold depending on the size of the different colonies. The list is here:

http://civland.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=93&t=1136

I think tech/gold trading aren't a problem but we could disable trade.

Write me a message with an address so I can send you the map. I think you can better evaluate what should get in and what not.
Last edited by Sketlux on Fri Sep 11, 2015 8:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
taulover

Post by taulover »

Sketlux wrote:There is also a great WWI scenario put together with Nimmrod and in the final breaths of GT I also created a Game of Thrones scenario.
Would it be possible for you to release that map (GOT) as well, or are you planning on keeping it secret and restarting that game in the future?
Sketlux

Post by Sketlux »

I uploaded the scenarios here:

http://civland.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=1137

once the possible colonial Africa scenario is over I will upload it too.
taulover

Post by taulover »

Thank you kind sir!

Edit: What version of Freeciv does this require, and is it a savefile or scenario?
Last edited by taulover on Sat Sep 19, 2015 1:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
Sketlux

Post by Sketlux »

Edit: I realised the final GoT map only works with freeciv 2.4.1 not 2.5. I uploaded a second GoT map from a previous save file that can be played with 2.5 but wich lacks many things I added later. In general the GoT map lacks a thorough bug fixing since we only played a couple of rounds till the server was shut down.

Just drop the file in the scenario folder it should then be visible in the menu.
Last edited by Sketlux on Sat Sep 19, 2015 8:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
wieder

Post by wieder »

If it's 2.4 then it's probably best to wait until we get LT36 with 2.5 working and then figure out how to play with the scenario. 2.5 will need some changer or at least test on Longturn systems. I guess that there will be something to fix.
Sketlux

Post by Sketlux »

I uploaded the scenario here: http://civland.org/forum/viewtopic.php? ... 5728#p5728

I know the surprise is gone but I won't have much time later. Its a fun map to play alone, though the ai could be playing much more interesting...