Interview on Longturn

everything else
monamipierrot

Interview on Longturn

Post by monamipierrot »

Hello,
some time ago in the www I read an interesting article in the form of a interview with one of the veteran players/admin of LT, and I can't remember who. Anyway, he gave reasons for LT being something like, let's say, a "school for life" (my words). I can't find the article any more. Can you point at it?
Thanks.
Marduk

Post by Marduk »

That sounds interesting, maybe it was Maho or Looris / Lo'oris?
monamipierrot

Post by monamipierrot »

Almost sure it was Maho, but really can't find it anymore
monamipierrot

Post by monamipierrot »

I think I found it, or at least it is something very similar.
This is not a interview, nor it was written from Maho...
Anyway here it is: http://nightfall.nu/?p=259
maho

Post by maho »

Marduk wrote:That sounds interesting, maybe it was Maho or Looris / Lo'oris?
Idea that it's from Maho is quite funny. Maho would have no time to write so long text. Even if I had time, I would be too lazy to do it :). More - I noticed that I must negotiate with myself that I should read it ...

OT: what's with LT last months? I has been offline during last half year, so I'm not up to date. Before I read all posts, did I miss any game started?
monamipierrot

Post by monamipierrot »

You missed:
LT31, in which there were no war, no religions and only peace,
LT32, which turned quickly to a RT shoot-em-up - every one died.
LT33, in which I won after building the "LongTurn Server Crash Wonder" which boosted my citizens productivity by 1,000,000%.
maho

Post by maho »

Oh nice.

I'm curious why none of them appeared in my RSS reader ...
pipo

Post by pipo »

maho wrote:Oh nice.

I'm curious why none of them appeared in my RSS reader ...
I think RSS is not an exact science...
wieder

Post by wieder »

Actually the reason why you don't know about those games is that LT34 changed everything. When the East Germany faced Monamipierrot's vast armies and the defeat of the eternal commie Reich was inevitable, the East Germany shifted all it's production towards pollution. It was an desperate attempt to use pollution as an doomsday weapon and kill all the life on the planet. However the EG failed in this attempt and the final product was something else.

The Time Pollution Wonder polluted the timeline and stuff. You know. Stuff happened and now we are waiting for the LT31 to happen.

The East Germany will rise again!
monamipierrot

Post by monamipierrot »

...but you still have a secret ace: the "Skip 5 Games In LT Future Wonder"! When you are in trouble, it is you last hope to use this "dimensional portal" skipping in the middle of LT35 game and find yourself in a new and hopefully better geopolitical history.

East Germany also polluted my brain, as you can see.
wieder

Post by wieder »

Yeah, East Germany is good at polluting everything.

Now I really wish we had that Berlin Wall wonder. It would ruin the tech development from anyone building it. It would also slow down the production and force the player to set development goals for five turns without any possibility to change the production.

That would be something!
monamipierrot

Post by monamipierrot »

Yes, and when some enemy manages to destroy it, you can sell him old useless cars, uniforms, cameras forthousands of $.
maho

Post by maho »

monamipierrot wrote:You missed:
LT33, in which I won after building the "LongTurn Server Crash Wonder" which boosted my citizens productivity by 1,000,000%.
Hmm, I don't see LT32 and LT33 in http://www.longturn.org/game/ - where are they mentioned?
monamipierrot

Post by monamipierrot »

maho wrote:
Hmm, I don't see LT32 and LT33 in http://www.longturn.org/game/ - where are they mentioned?
They now are part of the unauthorized history of LT.
If you want to know the boring, authorized, one, go to the LT30 forum threads and read the story of Terror been banned from LT.
Anyway- and seriously - LT30 ended (as far as I know) with me making a suicide attack against my long-term "friends" Wieder and Cgalik cause they didn't let me in the winners party.
Now Wieder can take as much beer as he wants - I'll always leave him out of my house.
maho

Post by maho »

monamipierrot wrote:
maho wrote:
They now are part of the unauthorized history of LT.
If you want to know the boring, authorized, one, go to the LT30 forum threads and read the story of Terror been banned from LT.
Terror been what? Banned from LT? Oh ...
Anyway- and seriously - LT30 ended (as far as I know) with me making a suicide attack against my long-term "friends" Wieder and Cgalik cause they didn't let me in the winners party.
Now Wieder can take as much beer as he wants - I'll always leave him out of my house.
monamipierrot

Post by monamipierrot »

maho wrote:
Yeah. He hacked many accounts, including mine. He just couldn't stand to lose against the "UN" (Wieder & friends).
But it was a desperate try, he couldn't defeat his enemies.
read:

http://forum.longturn.org/viewtopic.php?id=155
bli

Post by bli »

monamipierrot wrote:
maho wrote:
Yeah. He hacked many accounts, including mine. He just couldn't stand to lose against the "UN" (Wieder & friends).
But it was a desperate try, he couldn't defeat his enemies.
read:

http://forum.longturn.org/viewtopic.php?id=155
When terror hacked the accounts he had already realized that he had lost. It wasn't "a desperate try", but for "kicking asses". Otherwise he wouldn't have left behind any evidence of the authorship (his IP). Maybe terror couldn't stand to lose, but you shouldn't think that he is stupid.

Anyway, enjoy your victory, I could never beat him.
monamipierrot

Post by monamipierrot »

bli wrote: When terror hacked the accounts he had already realized that he had lost. It wasn't "a desperate try", but for "kicking asses". Otherwise he wouldn't have left behind any evidence of the authorship (his IP). Maybe terror couldn't stand to lose, but you shouldn't think that he is stupid.
Yeah, good punctualization, anyway "desperate" means "without hope" and of course I meant he already lost. Nobody thought he is stupid. Well, he did a really unelegant, annoying and silly - or stupid - thing so actually he has been one step far from just being stupid.
A chess champion doesn't throw in the air the chess table if he's going to lose. And even less the 1st time he lose: the one that can't lose can't be a real winner.

Anyway Terror's behaviour showed how far got some players' passion to "custom" their clients. If customization becomes more and more a part - and a winning part - of the game, then the game will be played more and more on the technical side. It's obvious that Terror just thought a thin red line has been passed (and I think he could be right) and his act can be seen as a "terrorist" protest against all of this: he just used the same cracking ability, just on a evil direction.
In my opinion there should be a great effort to share all of the custom solutions players have found.
If a player finds a tool that can help winning, he should share it and developers should implement it.
As a reward he could be assigned some in-game-privilege which is not an advantage, such a special colour/nation, the right to be called emperor, or his name written on the tool to remind players that they can win thanks to him, or whatever.