The game has a long history but only several of years ago I started to work on rich multiplayer support. There is a public multiplayer server for current stable release: https://freeorion-test.dedyn.io/
Main idea of proposal is to have a game without annoying RTS part. I also summarized other pros and cons:
- Real parallel turns! No RTS issues! The game doesn't depend on order of player actions.
- Python server API. It enough to install python connector for required DBMS and rewrite python scripts for authentication.
- Poor ruleset support. Only small set of values could be altered on server without desync with official client.
- Immature features. Release with features required for longturn game isn't published. Moreover timeout feature isn't even in master branch (https://github.com/freeorion/freeorion/pull/2441).
- Poor administration documentation. Current wiki is outdated.
- Poor diplomacy support. There no teamed games yet.