Tech sharing

Finished (teamless)
Steelski

Tech sharing

Post by Steelski »

To limit the power of tech sharing, how about setting non-zero chances to lose techs when trading them, for example 40% for giving and 50% for receiving? This would mean a 20% chance that both lose the tech and 30% that both keep it. This way, cooperating players would still get some benefit from sharing their techs, but not nearly as much as with the current settings in LT30.

Penalty for changing research target should also be set.

This might be a better way to prevent huge, overpowered alliances, than limiting the number of winners (which could also be done though).
Last edited by Steelski on Wed Jan 25, 2012 1:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
seyit

Post by seyit »

I totally agree, in fact, I wouldn't mind if it was completely disabled, like city trading.

I don't mind the 0 penalty for changing thechs though. It's not realistic perhaps, but I like it.
Steelski

Post by Steelski »

I just noticed there's also this setting called 'diplcost'. When you receive a tech costing x bulbs in a diplomatic treaty, you lose x*diplcost/100 bulbs (and can end up with a negative amount of bulbs.) Setting diplcost to 90 would effectively make an alliance of 11 nations research at only 2 times the speed of one nation (each member researches at the speed of one and gets 10% of everyone else's researched bulbs). This would be perfect if it didn't ruin money transfers at the same time. :/
Joe9009

Post by Joe9009 »

Steelski wrote:I just noticed there's also this setting called 'diplcost'. When you receive a tech costing x bulbs in a diplomatic treaty, you lose x*diplcost/100 bulbs (and can end up with a negative amount of bulbs.) Setting diplcost to 90 would effectively make an alliance of 11 nations research at only 2 times the speed of one nation (each member researches at the speed of one and gets 10% of everyone else's researched bulbs). This would be perfect if it didn't ruin money transfers at the same time. :/

I think that this would be really interesting, because it would allow lone wolf types to still be competitive and yet people who "just kind of like diplomacy" would still have some inventive to join annoying talkalots like me. I mean how else am I going to get people to talk to a "noob boob" like me.
Paladin

Post by Paladin »

Steelski wrote:To limit the power of tech sharing, how about setting non-zero chances to lose techs when trading them, for example 40% for giving and 50% for receiving? This would mean a 20% chance that both lose the tech and 30% that both keep it. This way, cooperating players would still get some benefit from sharing their techs, but not nearly as much as with the current settings in LT30.

This might be a better way to prevent huge, overpowered alliances, than limiting the number of winners (which could also be done though).
I agree.
johnhx

Post by johnhx »

Paladin wrote:
Steelski wrote:To limit the power of tech sharing, how about setting non-zero chances to lose techs when trading them, for example 40% for giving and 50% for receiving? This would mean a 20% chance that both lose the tech and 30% that both keep it. This way, cooperating players would still get some benefit from sharing their techs, but not nearly as much as with the current settings in LT30.

I agree.
I disagree. I think introducing yet another “throw of the dice” is not the way. I actually like Civs general predictability with a little uncertainty thrown in. I don't like this plague thing. I've already been hit twice in LTeX23B and I’m not happy.

I like the idea of setting diplcost if it works the way I understand it. Each ally would research at their usual speed but there would be a fairly severe, and predictable, penalty for tech sharing.