#151 2012-11-08 20:22:35

akfaew
Administrator

Re: LT31 will start soon

The server is up since yesterday night. The crash did not occur again, I just restarted the server and it works fine.

#152 2012-11-08 21:27:26

Trodan
Player

wuschel wrote:

-- what software to use (Freeciv 2.3.x e.g. is 2.3.2 OK?)

2.3.2 is fine wink

#153 2012-11-08 22:10:40

akfaew
Administrator

Trodan wrote:
wuschel wrote:

-- what software to use (Freeciv 2.3.x e.g. is 2.3.2 OK?)

2.3.2 is fine wink

Compile S2_3 from source if you can, update weekly (lots of bugs).

#154 2012-11-08 23:50:18

pipo
Player

Hi,

Caravan don't know what to do when arriving in a city.
Is that "normal" in this new ruleset?

Also, they lose a who movement point per tile following a railroad.
That is not normal because my workers do not lose anything.

Yes, Galleons and ironclads have only 3 squares per turn.

I was not aware that workers and some other units , now cost some gold per turn???

Somebody, please tell me how to grow a city with this new ruleset!!!!!!

#155 2012-11-09 03:02:51

Grendel
Player

I say map is too big.  Only 10% of total players can win, so game will go on forever with 7 or so people having to conquer huge map.

I suggest citymindist 2 or even 1.  Smallpox is sufficiently discouraged with Settlers costing 2 pop and this opens up some strategy.  Could also set notradesize to 1 or 2.

#156 2012-11-09 05:56:13

wieder
Administrator

I can live with the ltex23b ruleset. That must be said before anything else. It seems to be extremely different compared to that one we had in LT30.

Why was it necessary to switch over from LT30 ruleset to ltex23b ruleset? I thought the lt30 ruleset worked really well. True, there was some annoyances like the fighter over the land units but for the most part that was just fine.

I'm just wondering because I read about the change just a couple of days ago for the first time.

After the bugs in the ltex23b ruleset has been fixed, could someone please post a short summary about the differences between lt30 and ltex23b? That would really help!

When I understand the ruleset, I promise to give help to the others playing the game.

#157 2012-11-09 07:42:36

mrsynical
Player

Hi - I just logged in, but it seems I am detached and cannot either /observe or /take mrsynical. Is it because I am dead already?

akfaew wrote:

The server is up since yesterday night. The crash did not occur again, I just restarted the server and it works fine.

#158 2012-11-09 07:50:21

monamipierrot
Player

Grendel wrote:

I say map is too big.  Only 10% of total players can win, so game will go on forever with 7 or so people having to conquer huge map.

I suggest citymindist 2 or even 1.  Smallpox is sufficiently discouraged with Settlers costing 2 pop and this opens up some strategy.  Could also set notradesize to 1 or 2.

I completely agree.
I propose to cut by 50% landperplayer and maybe set settlers costing 3 pops

#159 2012-11-09 08:21:14

elrik
Player

pipo wrote:

Hi,
Is that "normal" in this new ruleset?
Also, they lose a who movement point per tile following a railroad.
That is not normal because my workers do not lose anything.

"A Caravan carries goods or material for trading with distant cities of foreign countries, or to help build wonders in your cities. Caravans can only travel on roads, railroads, rivers or ships, and  are not affected by movement modifiers. Every Caravan that is used to build a wonder will add 50 shields towards the production of the wonder."

So zes, it is normal:) They cannot do nothing if there is no wonder in construction.

pipo wrote:

Yes, Galleons and ironclads have only 3 squares per turn.

Its kind of bug. In orginal ltex2.3b ruleset all sea units have movement 1x. In one used there 5 ships have 3x, the rest 1x. Now its a question what to do - all ships 3x, or 1x?

pipo wrote:

Somebody, please tell me how to grow a city with this new ruleset!!!!!!

Its easy. Just forget about what was before:)  With rupture grow and harbor city surrounded with sea was just growing in old ruleset. Here all you need are granary, food and population buildings aque and sewere system. That makes fields with high food income very precious:) City needs 30 food to grow(10 at the beginning)

wieder wrote:

Why was it necessary to switch over from LT30 ruleset to ltex23b ruleset? I thought the lt30 ruleset worked really well. True, there was some annoyances like the fighter over the land units but for the most part that was just fine.

It looks like this one works just as good as the old one. In most cases what we call bug here is a feature:) Whats more i think this ruleset gives more tactic possibilities and more fun:)

I will make a topic with changes in the evening

Last edited by elrik (2012-11-09 08:23:24)

#160 2012-11-09 12:08:46

johnhx
Player

T603:

Is LT31 going to to be reset for another test game or are you still debugging? I'm getting bored and it looks like the server can't cope with my civ. Or am I being restricted in some way?

Cities: 89  pop: 550,190,000

I'm unable to log in for more than one turn at time.

#161 2012-11-09 12:14:03

johnhx
Player

Dear mrsynical,

I regret to inform you that your civ has been wiped out. This message should not be seen as an admission of liability.

Regards, johnhx

#162 2012-11-09 12:19:35

johnhx
Player

Can we change the rules to allow the conversion of mountains by geoeng? Should I start poll or can we just do it?

#163 2012-11-09 12:21:01

monamipierrot
Player

johnhx wrote:

Can we change the rules to allow the conversion of mountains by geoeng? Should I start poll or can we just do it?

I long cities on mountains. This should be allowed too.

#164 2012-11-09 12:29:08

johnhx
Player

No. I do not want cities on mountains. I am happy with that rule. I want to be able to convert mountains with geoeng so I can build a city later.

#165 2012-11-09 12:42:09

johnhx
Player

I think that in an island game it should be possible to convert deep ocean to shallow water and then to land. Or is that already possible? I haven’t tried. I think it would be useful for civs that want to create land bridges.

#166 2012-11-09 12:42:15

pipo
Player

Thank you very much Elrik!!

elrik wrote:
pipo wrote:

Hi,

"A Caravan carries goods or material for trading with distant cities of foreign countries, or to help build wonders in your cities. Caravans can only travel on roads, railroads, rivers or ships, and  are not affected by movement modifiers. Every Caravan that is used to build a wonder will add 50 shields towards the production of the wonder."

So zes, it is normal:) They cannot do nothing if there is no wonder in construction.

I missed the second phrase so I understand the movement now.
But the first phrase still does not exlude trading.  By looking at the server's options I do not see
anything excluding trading either.  But I remember a discussion about no trading somewhere here.
Is it impossible to get trade routes in this "ruleset"?

Again, thank you for your explanation on growing cities "new style".

#167 2012-11-09 14:53:10

Joris
Player

Uhm, I may have missed something, because it appears to be turn 635 or something. Is this a test or something, when does the real LT31 start?

EDIT: nvm, it's a test game tongue

Last edited by Joris (2012-11-09 15:14:41)

#168 2012-11-09 16:21:37

elrik
Player

I hope that there will be restart and one more fast game. Just to take a first look at new ruleset

#169 2012-11-09 16:31:43

pipo
Player

Ok,

Howitzers can't take over a city.

Is this common to all "Big Land" unit class or it it a bug?

Also, I am all for another test also after we clear these few bugs.

#170 2012-11-09 17:52:58

akfaew
Administrator

OK, so a second test game after someone fixes the ruleset smile

Arm yourself with patience, we'll start eventually... smile

#171 2012-11-09 21:16:36

elrik
Player

ok, `ive just sent it

#172 2012-11-09 23:55:54

bamskamp
Player

As Pipo mentioned, Big Land units cannot capture cities by design - it is a feature of this ruleset, not a bug.  This includes Catapult, Chariot, Cannon, Artillery, Armor, Mech. Infantry, and Howitzers.  They also cannot pillage tiles, nor can they be carried by transports other than Galleons or Transports.

Since these units cannot be placed on triremes or caravels, it essentially makes chariots and catapults obsolete in an island game, in addition to the other problems mentioned above. I assume Elrik's updated ruleset converts all units in the "Big Land" class to the "Land" class - can you confirm?

I think it would be worth keeping the transport-related effects if we were playing a fractal map, but I think it's hard to justify why any of these units shouldn't be allowed to capture a city.

#173 2012-11-10 07:07:07

elrik
Player

I've change ships move points only. From 1x to 3x. I think that in every other place it is standart civ2-3 ruleset

#174 2012-11-10 11:20:53

Archont
Player

I can't connect to server, client just sits silent after I hit the "Connect" button. I had to change my password, is this the reason?

(I also tried to connect to Metaserver and everything is OK.)

..(`)     In my spirit lies my faith
.(  )     Stronger than love and with me it will be
/(* *)  For always
./(_)()
Orchestra!

#175 2012-11-10 11:42:15

Lord_P
Player

bamskamp wrote:

As Pipo mentioned, Big Land units cannot capture cities by design - it is a feature of this ruleset, not a bug.  This includes Catapult, Chariot, Cannon, Artillery, Armor, Mech. Infantry, and Howitzers.  They also cannot pillage tiles, nor can they be carried by transports other than Galleons or Transports.

Since these units cannot be placed on triremes or caravels, it essentially makes chariots and catapults obsolete in an island game, in addition to the other problems mentioned above. I assume Elrik's updated ruleset converts all units in the "Big Land" class to the "Land" class - can you confirm?

I think it would be worth keeping the transport-related effects if we were playing a fractal map, but I think it's hard to justify why any of these units shouldn't be allowed to capture a city.

Take Mech.Inf out of that list and its entirely accurate. You cant capture a real city without infantry, thats why urban warfare is still effective against the most advanced armies in the world.
I also think no big units on triremes is still a good idea with islands. It gives the advantage to the defending player but doesnt stop a D-day style landing of massed Legions. Only one city needs to be captured to build catapaults on an island.

Board footer