#1 2012-04-14 08:25:37

IllvilJa
Player

Suggestion: no explorers at start

I think the LT31 game would benefit if players are not given explorers at start (we can replace them with workers).

Explorers are quite a few techs ahead in the research tree (in contrast to workers who's just 1 tech away).  Also, this means initial exploration more coincides with the actual growing of your country and I'm think it also makes exploration by map exchange a bit more critical (even if the latter requires diplomats who are a few techs away as well).

If anyone absolutely MUST do longroad exploration... he can send one of his workers smile.

Others can use the extra workers to make sure even grassland is irrigated in despotism wink (after all hills are mined, of course).

Your thoughts?

/IllvilJa

#2 2012-04-15 08:24:36

mrsynical
Player

Re: Suggestion: no explorers at start

Interesting but the start of the game is quite boring. The only thing we can do in the first 10-20 turns is moving the explorer around.

IllvilJa wrote:

I think the LT31 game would benefit if players are not given explorers at start (we can replace them with workers).

Explorers are quite a few techs ahead in the research tree (in contrast to workers who's just 1 tech away).  Also, this means initial exploration more coincides with the actual growing of your country and I'm think it also makes exploration by map exchange a bit more critical (even if the latter requires diplomats who are a few techs away as well).

If anyone absolutely MUST do longroad exploration... he can send one of his workers smile.

Others can use the extra workers to make sure even grassland is irrigated in despotism wink (after all hills are mined, of course).

Your thoughts?

/IllvilJa

#3 2012-04-18 17:41:29

IllvilJa
Player

Re: Suggestion: no explorers at start

mrsynical wrote:

Interesting but the start of the game is quite boring. The only thing we can do in the first 10-20 turns is moving the explorer around.

But... if we provide enough workers for people for ensuring things get exciting?  Like replacing the two explorers with 4 workers, giving the player a total of 6 workers?

That way some workers might be diverted for exciting exploration of the world.  And... in a way, they work like explorers.  They treat the terrain like road, as long as the put the effort to build said road wink.

And they can do better than explorers when saying 'hi' when they meet other nations.  Instead of just saying 'I bring cookies' they can also add '...and I'll irrigate your despotic grasslands or even better, your plains' to their offers.

Peaceful cooperation between nations could never be easier, especially as workers will pave the road, literally.

And for those who want to use every opportunity to get an edge, they can be boring and use all 6 workers for working the land, but of course, they expose themselves for the risk of being loathed by the community for bad sportsmanship! (Ok, the last was a mean pun... I hate informal rules, so the workers are used as the player wish, including double-action-at-TC if they so like).  I think the risk is bigger they in boredom ends up irrigating despoting grassland because everything else is done.

/IllvilJa

Board footer