#1 2020-01-15 11:02:39

Corbeau
Administrator

The "caravan problem"

From Discord:

Wieder wrote:

I've been trying to figure out how to remove the caravans from the game. by that I mean all units that are helping to build wonders. we have expensive stuff like units, buildings etc you can't hurry without a real penalty. moving prod from city a to city b pretty much always costs 50%. then we have these special buildings you can actually hurry by getting help from other cities and the cost os close to 0%. that's an actual problem
without caravans it would make sense to cut the costs for the wonders. maybe 30-40% and that would really make the game more interesting since you could still build that stuff as fast as before, or close to it, but you would see the penalty when you disband units built to help to build the wonders
maybe that's something we could test with LT46

Wahazar created a "unique" Caravan unit, but I think it's an inelegant solution.

However, I feel the problem is not really the problem. A big empire with many cities SHOULD be able to have cooperative construction of wonders. The problems listed here:

1. piling up caravans in order to build a wonder in one turn

2. there should be a penalty

are either non-problems or can be solved more easily.

Namely:

1. can be solved easily by making caravans cost upkeep, say a few shields. Then you CAN pile up caravans to get the wonder in one turn, but it costs you more.

2. IF (again, IF) the ideal solution would be to make it more expensive for the caravan to help with wonders, well, get this: I don't know if anyone EVER builds wonders without caravans (except the wonders before discovering trade), then the very simple solution is: make them generally more expensive. And you get your penalty. Because, again, I don't think anyone ever builds them without caravans. OR (and this can go along with the former), make them cost upkeep AND make them slow(er) so that they actually have to spend this upkeep while getting there. Call it the "cost of travel". You can tune this by adjusting caravan price and upkeep. Cheaper caravan will actually make assisting the wonder construction more expensive because you have to pay upkeep for the addition of 30 shields instead of 50.

#2 2020-01-15 21:39:39

Wahazar
Administrator

Re: The "caravan problem"

This unique Caravan (not Freight) is not only to solve problem with stockpiling for Wonder, but also for better balance of traderoutes (large empire can't make traderoutes faster than small one).
And issue with Caravan stockpilling was raised due existence of Great Wonders (there are some Great Wonders in augmented2, which gives effect for Alliance,
I'm trying to narrow down possibility of "stealing" alternative wonders by one alliance just to block them for others.
Of course one can always disband normal units for twice price or even pay gold for 4x price, but doing this for 3 different Great Wonders is rather hard to achieve.

High upkeep of Caravan doesn't make a huge effort for large empire, if they are produced by many towns (or are rehomed), assuming some free upkeep buffer.

#3 2020-01-16 00:03:09

Corbeau
Administrator

What do you mean by "upkeep buffer"?

#4 2020-01-16 10:49:28

Wahazar
Administrator

Corbeau wrote:

What do you mean by "upkeep buffer"?

Unit_Upkeep_Free_Per_City