Multi-team game proposal

Current and future games
Wahazar

Multi-team game proposal

Post by Wahazar »

Two-team game is fun, but have one important flaw: any larger unbalance between teams act like rolling snowball - leads to higher unbalance, thus players from the "worse" team in the face of their fate, tend to surrender and quit game. It is no more fun.

I propose to make multi-team game, for example 5 teams. It would bring benefits of team game (cooperation, discussions about strategies, helpful teammates) and add some fun factors from classic game (diplomacy etc) and less determinism.
Additionally, smaller teams are easier to maintain.

Another idea, which arose around this topic, is to bring more RPG climate into team game. I mean, instead of random-picked countries, make something theme-related.
for example medieval Holy Wars, each team is designated to the one religion. I'm not talking about scenario game, but to bring better "look-and-feel" action for team game.
Hans_Lemurson

Post by Hans_Lemurson »

Or maybe the 5 colors from Magic: The Gathering? :)
jwrober

Post by jwrober »

i think going with more teams in a team game makes sense. that way if you end up with a weak team its not 1/2 of the players!
Sketlux

Post by Sketlux »

Well, since we made a big jump on the graphic front the WWI scenario might be worth to be looked again. It has multiple fronts (talking of the Caspian Sea, Balcans, Atlantic, Western and Eastern front etc), instant action, a third party that is all the neutral players and once people commit to play a role game, they might be more comfortable loosing since they havent invested months in a game like in ordinary games. Finally we could add Zeppelins, Stormtroopers, WWI tanks etc. Besides, I already played the scenario years ago at greatturn so I remember its flaws and think we can counterbalance them quite well.
Sketlux

Post by Sketlux »

It also occured to me that I made several years ago a Russian Civil War scenario where the new founded states from the former Russian Empire (like Finland, Poland, Georgia etc.) face the Soviet Union. It also includes actors like the Checkoslovakian Legion, Baltic Landeswehr, Several Expiditonary Forces, Green Armies etc.
We could all fight the mighty AI (Soviet Union) but only a few (lets say 3) player can win, so backstabbing would be included. I remember that almost all states had roughly the same amount of cities, units etc. except for the non-land actors and the Soviet Union.

http://forum.freeciv.org/f/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=809
Corbeau

Post by Corbeau »

Can I play the Soviet Union? :D
jwrober

Post by jwrober »

Corbeau wrote:Can I play the Soviet Union? :D
and I can beat them!
Sketlux

Post by Sketlux »

Can I play the Soviet Union? big_smile
Corbeau was always a bit of political commissar to me ;-) so I guess the most important player is set... I guess its also no surprise who will play Finland...

Could trains be supported by this game? I made an armoured train and a railway gun for Trident already and since this game would play along the Transsib it would be nice to have Strelnikovs train from Dr Zhivago in it :P

Tech progress would be minimal but we could include more units like the mounted infantry or stormtroopers that I also made.

Another idea I had would be maybe giving each some individual house rules and objectives.

But for sure this is only something for veteran players specailly since it requires are lot of discipline and graphical adjustments.