Team selection for future team games

Current and future games
Corbeau

Team selection for future team games

Post by Corbeau »

Since there are a lot of rpoblems with idlers, I propose that the rules for team games are slightly modified.

Firstly, there needs to be some discretion regarding choosing who gets to play. Obviously, the confirmation system isn't enough of a filter. So I propose that we agree on the "team captains" system, but with some added limitations to both the captains and the potential players.

1. In order to play a team game, you shouldn't be a complete newbie regarding LT. It is expected that you have played at least one LT game and that you have communicated with the people inside the game and made your presence known there enough. What is "enough" is to be decided by the team captains. Actually, this part can include other reliable and veteran players, not only the captains.

1a. The captains (and whoever's advice they listen to) may demand that the future players join Discord for better communication. Or not. Their choice.

2. The team captains review the list of confirmed participants and decide who gets to play based on the above criteria.

3. Only then do they start with selecting the teams, from the pool that they determined together. Players may voice their preferences and the final setup of the teams should be agreed on by a consensus or at least a compromise.
Sketlux

Post by Sketlux »

Seems reasonable to me!
fran

Post by fran »

Hans_Lemurson

Post by Hans_Lemurson »

What about a 3-team game, so that there will be some self-balancing Diplomacy going on?

Civ-games have always had an aspect of snowballing growth which means that imbalances between two groups will only be amplified with time. But with 3 teams, you can always have the two weaker groups cooperate against the stronger, so it's harder to "Run away with the game".

Proposed team names: Oceania, Eastasia, and Eurasia. :)
Corbeau

Post by Corbeau »

Hans_Lemurson wrote:Proposed team names: Oceania, Eastasia, and Eurasia. :)
*all four thumbs up* :D

I was actually sceptical about the three-way, but the notion of self-balancing is an eye opener :)

On the other hand, it does sound nice theoretically, but would be difficult to implement in practice, with people maybe not willing to backstab even if the rules practically demand it.

I'd rather leave the balancing to the property of best players wantintg to compete against each other, not with each other :)

Also, smaller games. Maybe teams consisting of 3-5 players.

BTW, what happened to Ladder Wars?
wieder

Post by wieder »

3 team games might have the same problem. Two teams allying against 3rd would not be that great. LT32 had some issues but maybe 5 teams we had on that game might work best. 3 vs. 2 is not super bad really but also hard to maintain.
Wahazar

Post by Wahazar »

I had already similar proposal:
http://forum.longturn.org/viewtopic.php?id=1024
5 teams game + some role playing elements, for example teams nation selection bonded to religions.