Longturn vs. Longturn-web

Current and future games
Sketlux

Longturn vs. Longturn-web

Post by Sketlux »

Cgali had the idea of playing a (team) game between traditional longturn.org players and the new longturn-web gamers. "Normal" longturn.org rules, no numerical balance between teams i.e. web-players can be much more players.
Corbeau

Post by Corbeau »

I thought the idea was to keep them, not drive them into the ground on first contact so that they run away screaming never to return again :D
wieder

Post by wieder »

I'm just guessing this but my impression is that the web-players might win a game like that since they are well trained on war and while the ruleset is a bit different the basic idea is the same and it's not that difficult to figure out how to play on lt.org :)
Corbeau

Post by Corbeau »

Methinks that "well trained on war" depends very much on whether the training is about "how to fight" or about "when to fight" ;)

I think the training depends much on the environment. In the end it boils down to general preferences and the speed of adjusting to the new circumstances. Not saying that they would lose, but LT has some cold-blooded calculated monsters ;) There were some comments about LT39 and LT40 and how it's so peaceful, not at all what one would expect. I replied that there is a reason why nobody is sitting at the edge of pool, even though it seems calm, and everybody is waiting for the first person to slowly lower a piece of raw meat into the water ;)
cgalik

Post by cgalik »

I think this would be very fun! No matter who wins/loses. :)
Caedo

Post by Caedo »

wieder wrote:while the ruleset is a bit different the basic idea is the same
Calling it a "bit" different is a "bit" of an understatement. Sure, the overall structure of the tech tree is the same, and most things that exist in traditional rulesets exist in LT rulesets, but certain fundamental things are different (e.g. Settlers costing two pop), and certain things are fundamentally different (e.g. how governments are organized).
wieder

Post by wieder »

"Calling it a "bit" different is a "bit" of an understatement. "

Back in the days I was saying that some ruleset was very different and now bit different is also not that accurate :D

Both are of course correct. It depends on how someone is able to see it. For someone it's a bit different and for someone else very different. And someone might think it's just different.
Corbeau

Post by Corbeau »

Until we define quantitative units of measurement, one man's "bit" will be other man's "byte" and there is no point debating what is "a lot" and what it "just a little" ;)

Some people need to loosen up... a bit ;)
wieder

Post by wieder »

A bit, slightly or something else is there just to illustrate the there are differences. A small change may change the winning strategies and become a big deal.

And also using Finglish or some other nonnativelish may also change the message :)