When *exactly* do turns end

Finished (teamless)
awfullbored

When *exactly* do turns end

Post by awfullbored »

I still have no idea how to determine when a turn is going to end. The rules state that they are 23 hours, but does that mean that the turns swing around the clock, or is there a reserved maintenance hour? If the former, is there somewhere I can query the end of the given turn within the game, or somewhere on longturn.org? If the latter, can you prominently post the UTC time at which every turn will end, perhaps in the rules sticky?

It looks like I already missed a turn as a result of my ignorance.
HanduMan

Post by HanduMan »

awfullbored wrote: is there somewhere I can query the end of the given turn within the game, or somewhere on longturn.org?
Both. There is a countdown timer in the client below your tax rate settings (in gtk client, that is) telling the housr and minutes remaining until next TC. That same information is also dispayed on the header section of Longturn.org web site.
awfullbored wrote:It looks like I already missed a turn as a result of my ignorance.
You can only miss a turn by staying away for at least 23 hours. Did you really?
wieder

Post by wieder »

A new turn starts in 23 hours after the previous turn has ended. This means that the turns will change one hour earlier every day. For example, if the next TC is (for me at my local time) at 03:00 AM, the next TC will happen at 02:00 and the one after that 01:00. There is a short "maintenance" time for each TC but since that's usually only seconds, it really doesn't matter that much.

In addition to that there may be some moments of maintenance when the server :) needs to be restarted but that's usually only a very short time. This happened when an idler was replaced. When something like that happens, the time of the TC shouldn't be affected because the timer is set again to compensate.

We have 23h turns because that's more fair compared to having 24h turns. That way the TC doesn't happen at a convenient/inconvenient time for players living on some specific time zone. There has been talks about having 25h turns but LT34 is not using that.
awfullbored

Post by awfullbored »

So, again, is there any way for me to determine what time a given turn ends? Like this one, for example? If not, this becomes a chore that I have to address twice a day, preferably at 12 hour intervals, to make sure I don't miss another one.

EDIT: sorry, missed Handuman's response. I will look for that. And yes, I stayed away for that long, as I habitually login at a similar time per day. Seems like a pretty natural approach, if you don't know about the swinging window.
Last edited by awfullbored on Fri Jan 23, 2015 3:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
wieder

Post by wieder »

Would it help if you had some way to add the turn change information on a Google calendar? I'm not using one but I've heard about a script doing that.
nicemicro

Post by nicemicro »

Why didn't you keep the 25 hours long turns of Ladder Wars? Now I'm confused!
edrim

Post by edrim »

nicemicro wrote:Why didn't you keep the 25 hours long turns of Ladder Wars? Now I'm confused!
Because LW are quite different project here, and we have changed it because Admin (like me) like this change.
23 hours turn length was here from ages and we are playing it here because nobody says he would like to play with 25 and Admin (like wieder) accept this change.