Picking & locating the team members if LT34 is a team game

Finished (teamless)
Corbeau

Post by Corbeau »

One more thing to keep in mind is that GT may finally launch this month. It should have been last month, but, y'know, RL is a bitch and all. But we are getting closer to the finish line.

This may be relevant because GT is definitely going to be a teamless game so people may want to take that into account.
wieder

Post by wieder »

What's the current address of Greatturn? civland.org doesn't seem to be working.

What kind of ruleset there will be? How about map? Or is it a scenario game?
evan

Post by evan »

re selecting teams

I have read enough to form a preference.
I have no problem with random.
Nobody can complain. The game will just start.
From what i gather there are enough reasons in any team for anybody to be disgruntled.
Corbeau

Post by Corbeau »

Re GreatTurn: Server is not up at the moment. The moment it does get up is the moment setup starts.

As for ruleset, probably nothing fancy, I think people just want to play. Details are less relevant.
wieder

Post by wieder »

I just can't understand this one thing. While we have some old LT players preferring a team game, most of the people who would like to have a team game are coming from GT. So my question is, why is GT going to have a teamless game?

I can only guess that teamless games are easier to set up but if that's not it, what's the deal with that?

I'm not saying that GT should be running a team game. I'm simply wondering about this:D
Corbeau

Post by Corbeau »

wieder wrote:I just can't understand this one thing. While we have some old LT players preferring a team game, most of the people who would like to have a team game are coming from GT.
Really? I wasn't under that impression, but I can't say that I know many GT people, having arrived there slightly less than a year ago. And of the GT people I remember from the GT games I participated in, only Nimrod is here, a few others active on the GT forum are not.

It's possible that I am wrong and that GT may be a team game. However, nobody said anyhting about it on the GT forum so far, or, if they did, I missed it.
ifaesfu

Post by ifaesfu »

wieder wrote:I just can't understand this one thing. While we have some old LT players preferring a team game, most of the people who would like to have a team game are coming from GT. So my question is, why is GT going to have a teamless game?

I can only guess that teamless games are easier to set up but if that's not it, what's the deal with that?

I'm not saying that GT should be running a team game. I'm simply wondering about this:D
Greatturn hasn't got the tradition of running team games, longturn has it. Greatturn was born as a way to play freeciv in a more relaxed way and with more players than it was played in the metaserver. But almost all the settings were the same the metaserver games had. I have seen very few team games in the metaserver.
taulover

Post by taulover »

Just wondering, but is there an algorithm that makes teams based on equal skill level? (ie using the ranking system or something)
kevin551

Post by kevin551 »

StratThinker wrote:I really like the idea of teams so that I have someone to learn from, but idlers made LT32 not so nice; some team suffered from idlers, while others benefited by delegating for their idlers. I cannot think of a way around this which is not more complicated than one of the point system for limiting allaince size, hence I vote for a teamless game.
I agree this is an important issue that needs fixing, but I can think of an easy (temporary!) fix. Allow a person who is not playing complete control to remove idlers and rearrange teams if they become unbalanced. The issue of idlers really only effects team games that have balanced teams, (the games I prefer). It doesn't really matter about idlers with random teams or self-chosen teams.
edrim wrote:As I will not play a team game, i think i can make quite nice pregame for team leaders to pick their locations.
For eg. it will not be map reveal but i will only make a screen with locations without terian and ocean.
Leaders will know where are the picking spots are but they will not know what resources and terian is there.
And it will be not known for everyone where is everyone else except team leaders will know where they put his teammates.
I know this is less understadable but i will write whole system in best easy way to get it.
Thanks Edrim. I am interested in trying this.
mmm2

Post by mmm2 »

Wieder/Kevin, if it's not going to be random teams, then who is going to do the team picking? Do you think 2 pre-picked teams is best idea? I am leaning towards indifference. I just don't want to be part of the pre-game planning process if it's going to be preselected.
Last edited by mmm2 on Tue Dec 09, 2014 1:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
vidlius

Post by vidlius »

I'm from GT corbeau, but I started in gt10 hexmap, so haven't been around for even one finished game yet :p
kevin551

Post by kevin551 »

Mmm2 - I am leaning towards your idea of completely random small teams for this game. (random unknown map, random placement, random teams)
reasons :
- its easier to set up,
- this game is potentially a test game for 2.5 so may run into problems,
- I don't see many experienced players wanting to be captains,
- random games are probably much quicker
- and its fun to try something new.
I offer to admin LT36 as a non-random team game. (known map, chosen placement, selected teams)
Corbeau

Post by Corbeau »

kevin551 wrote:random placement
But still members of the team are placed together?
kevin551

Post by kevin551 »

Corbeau wrote:But still members of the team are placed together?
Depends on what you mean by together? The server places team mates close to each other, yes. But sometimes not on the same island.
In LT15 a team game using freeciv 2.1 Kryon playing his first game was separated from his team.
My team was together as a group of five on an island. Kryon was there too, a short distance from his teammates who were all on the main continent a few tiles away.
Not surprisingly Kryon didn't win his first game.

Random placement is definitely not fair but it is occasionally amusing.