The winning conditions for LT40

Finished (teamless)
wieder

The winning conditions for LT40

Post by wieder »

All the players will be ranked with in-game score. More score, the better position you get on the list. First in score may be understood as the winner or as the first in score.

Allied victory is not possible but an alliance may end the game by allying with everyone alive. This ends the game

The game may also be ended with the space race victory. In this case the players are also ranked with the in-game score. No forum post is needed but would be nice if the winner makes a forum post.

The game may also be ended by someone alive announcing the game to end on the forum. There is one week to object. Only alive human players can object.

A player is not RIP before he/she is listed as one on the nations tab.

The ruleset/server settings may not be changed during the game. However if there is game breaking bug that will prevent playing the game or really ruins the game, this kinds of unwanted bugs/features may be fixed. This is because LT40 has lots of experimental features. Help texts can be fixed during the game.

Your nation may be given away if you are idle for T0 or for 3 turns in a row. Or the idlers may be deleted. Nations tab will show idlers who are idler for that time. If someone is available to do this, the admin may delegate idlers to someone who can put the idlers into defensive mode or even disband the idlers.

If the game is not ended before T250 it will be ended because of the turn limit. If ended this way the players will be ranked with the in-game score.

If the game is halted for a technical reason and/or can't be resumed in 90 days, it will end with a tie similar to reaching T250.

Total annihilation or conquest victory is not needed and it's highly unlikely. However it's possible and allowed.

Have fun, insult your enemy but not too much. Remember the the enemy of today may be your ally tomorrow.
Corbeau

Post by Corbeau »

wieder wrote:If the game is not ended before T250 it may end with a tie.
What does this mean? Equal score for everybody? Since the game is score-based, why not simply "declare it over with current score being used to decide rank"?
fran

Post by fran »

These are fine and detailed rules. Great job. Just one remark.
wieder wrote: Allied victory is not possible but an alliance may end the game by allying with everyone alive. This ends the game
If it looks like a duck, swims like a duck, and quacks like a duck, then it probably is a duck.
So this is allied victory, even if you don't want to call it allied victory.
And why shouldn't we have allied victory, if we have alliances.
Last edited by fran on Wed Nov 22, 2017 11:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
wieder

Post by wieder »

Tie with T250... Yes, the big plan is to make the game... no.. Just joking. That was an error. Old habits and stuff :) Obviously the game will be ended and the scores will list how the players did.

About alliances. Yeah, it's kind of allied victory but not the way we had those in the previous LT games. In the previous games all the allies won the game but with LT40 they will be ranked with the in-game score.
fran

Post by fran »

wieder wrote: About alliances. Yeah, it's kind of allied victory but not the way we had those in the previous LT games. In the previous games all the allies won the game but with LT40 they will be ranked with the in-game score.
I got that. "Ranking" is something outside the game and seems to be pretty much dead since LT33.
From a practical viewpoint of playing and ending the game, it is allied victory. People can play as
always and end the game by victory of their alliance, which is possible by destroying everybody else's
cities. I'm not opposed to that, but this is what I think will happen. The point about the one winner
approach is, that it forces the breakup of the leading alliance, and I guess, people don't like that.

It's more or less an option for the leading alliance, if it wants to break up and play kind of a second game.
That breakup would need to take place before the last opponent is destroyed, because after that, the
game is over according to the above rule, but not automatically ended by the server. This is kind of a problem,
because there is nobody to control.

Wait, idiot me. You just enable "allied victory" server option and you're all set. :)
Last edited by fran on Wed Nov 22, 2017 12:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
wieder

Post by wieder »

Yeah... Another difference is that there is no player limit for this kind of ending. The players can choose how many players they want to ally with. There is no way to prevent this from happening. At least no reasonable way.
Corbeau

Post by Corbeau »

Actually, yes, the game ending is a bi moot here. In all likelihood, it will last until T250 because posting 'game over' and nobody objecting or not objecting is "socially demanding". it would depend more on the personality of potential "ending objectors" than on the state of the game. This is why I would rather have some fixed conditions for game ending. for example:

1. Ten players reach Future Technology 1
2. One player reaches FT10
3. A sum of FTs reached by all players is 10 (a combination of 1. and 2.)
4. Certain Great Wonders have been built, like in SG1, with those Wonders adding to players' score (basically, a variant on Space Race, but a bit distributed)
5. The best player has more points than the next 3 combined
6. ...something else?

... or a combination of those.

Also, if, say, 1/3 of LIVE and NON-IDLE players object, the game goes on. And may the odds ever be in their favour because the other players won't :)

I don't suppose there is a count of the world population anywhere so that the game ends at certain population or when a player reaches a certain population or when they reach a % of the world population?

Also, just checking, what year is T250?
Corbeau

Post by Corbeau »

Also, onec the final rank is established, any plans with those numbers? Plan to turn them into out-of-game score? Because I'm going to write it down to add to future games that don't have alliance victory. I have a system and plan to turn it into a League.
wieder

Post by wieder »

Maybe easier to just end the game at T250 if it is still running at that time. I highly doubt that since the longest running LT game ever was LT32 and it ended around T230. There was tech lost when stolen and pooled research making it really slow. The space race victory is very probable one since the space ship is not super expensive and you can make one city super well defended. Not invincible but really well defended. With air defense and with making it nuke proof 100%. Will be interesting to see how people like the new stuff in LT40. Hopefully most of it works well as intended and we can use it for the future games. I will open a new forum for the next games once LT39 and LT40 have started. Early planning make better future games. All ideas are of course welcome even while not everything can be implemented - or may not fit into the game.

Would be easier to add more winning conditions if the game was 2.6. The current 2.5 doesn't have end game flag needed for that. Better to avoid manual work. SG1 was a spacial case.

Also no count for world population. Unfortunately. So many improvements we could use for this great game :)

No special plans for the final score based ranking. You are very welcome to use them for creating such league.