All seems to be working on the test game?

A game with advanced start and pre-built cities. Finished.
(teamless)
wieder

All seems to be working on the test game?

Post by wieder »

I was told the science rate is too fast. It's now at 30% cost of the original. Maybe we should switch to 50%? 60%?

People who played the test will know best.

100% is probably not reasonable since there are less cities and less space for cities.
kevin551

Post by kevin551 »

I just played the test game. As it stands now I am not interested in continuing.

Yes. Science is much too fast. City growth is much too fast.
Caedo

Post by Caedo »

I agree on both sciencebox and foodbox. Granaries of size 4 are just ridiculous, and at the height of the testing game, I had two megacities (big enough that not all citizens can work the area), and I was researching close to the end of the tech tree at one tech per turn. That was with Copernicus in one city and (I think) 40% science under a democracy.
wieder

Post by wieder »

Yeah, science can be adjusted.

Granaries of size 4? You mean at the city size 4 or the granaries reaching size 40 and not growing beyond that? The granaries for cities with size 4 were not changed from civ2civ3. What would make them work?

About the megacities. How many turns did you play and how many cities did you have?

The LT games are currently designed for 120-150 turns before reaching the end of the tech tree. Without that many opponents you can get more cities that you would on a normal game and could reach the end in half of that time. 120 turns would mean maybe 25-30 cities with 80% tech. The test had 30% tech and no idea how many cities the players would take when most people are idling.
Caedo

Post by Caedo »

wieder wrote:Granaries of size 4? You mean at the city size 4 or the granaries reaching size 40 and not growing beyond that? The granaries for cities with size 4 were not changed from civ2civ3. What would make them work?
I'm talking about granary size. Even at high city sizes, granaries can't have been in the double digits.
wieder wrote:About the megacities. How many turns did you play and how many cities did you have?

The LT games are currently designed for 120-150 turns before reaching the end of the tech tree. Without that many opponents you can get more cities that you would on a normal game and could reach the end in half of that time. 120 turns would mean maybe 25-30 cities with 80% tech. The test had 30% tech and no idea how many cities the players would take when most people are idling.
I'm not sure how long it took to get the megacities. I had my three starting cities, one of which didn't get a sewer system due to my foolish idea of trying to build the Great Wall. The others grew pretty quickly. I didn't build any more cities (don't ask me why, I didn't have much time to plan with only two-minute-turns), only conquered one, but that can't have contributed that much. All in all, I probably stayed in the game for ~150 turns, so looking back, it wasn't that badly calibrated – for my playstyle. However, I'm pretty sure that chill, who built a lot more cities, acquired technology a lot faster.
Again, I got to the end of the tech tree in 150 turns with just two and a half cities. Granted, I didn't have to focus on much of a war effort for most of the time, but still.
Caedo

Post by Caedo »

Also, the Hambach Castle's effect doesn't seem to work. I'd assume it's due to the space in the effect name.
kevin551

Post by kevin551 »

Here's a look at the granary box for Vienna at size 5. You only need 2 food to grow.
After about size 8 this grows to 4 food. It remains at 4 as far as I tested upto size 40.

The faulty settings are presumably in game.ruleset here

Code: Select all

; Parameters used to generalize the calculation of city granary size:
;   if city_size <= num_inis:
;     city_granary_size = (granary_food_ini[city_size] * foodbox / 100)
;   if city_size > num_inis;
;     city_granary_size = (granary_food_ini[num_inis] +
;        granary_food_inc * (city_size - num_inis)) * foodbox / 100
granary_food_ini = 20
granary_food_inc = 10
Last edited by kevin551 on Sat Sep 23, 2017 7:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
wieder

Post by wieder »

The problem is most likely not on the game.ruleset but on the scenario save file.

When I started a new game with SG1 ruleset, the cities had granaries with size 0/20 and not 0/2. 0/2 is definitely not intended. The granary sizes should remain in 20 until size 5 and with size 6 the granary should be 30. With size 8 the granary should be size 40.

sizes below 20 are definitely not intended. I'll try to figure out what's wrong with the .sav file.
wieder

Post by wieder »

On the game save file for the scenario:

"foodbox",10,10

should have been

"foodbox",100,100

The first line gives granaries with size 2 and the second with sizes 20...

Also, it looks like the actual sciencebox setting was 80
wieder

Post by wieder »

Kevin, once the test game has been restarted with the correct settings, please check it again and decide if you want to participate. Or let us know.

Sorry about the trouble.
kevin551

Post by kevin551 »

Wieder, thanks for fixing these bugs. Am glad we did the test games first. Yes. I will continue to play.