Gameplay questions

Finished (teamless)
chomwitt

Gameplay questions

Post by chomwitt »

In a new city i have a tile working on.
After 1-2 turns that tile and some adjacent are mark with red border and are unsuable and i have one less tile worked on! and i'm left wondering what the heck happened?
vidlius

Post by vidlius »

The cities have a Hugh radius of workable tiles around them. Was it a tile on the farthest edge? May have lost vision of it and it became unusable that way.
ErgoProxy

Post by ErgoProxy »

I had somewhat similar condition. In my new city I assigned a worker to a distant tile and when my explorer moved on, the tile was covered by fog of war and the worker was locked there. He was still operative, though not displayed on map. So I simply bought warriors there and the problem was solved. Yet I consider this a bug, not a feature.
--
In my spirit lies my faith
Stronger than love and with me it will be
For always
- Mike Wyzgowski & Sagisu Shiro
Lord_P

Post by Lord_P »

I have been thinking about what the effect of diplcost on capturing technology will be, so consider this;

I am at war with another player, his city is empty and my units are outside ready to take it. I have just completed researching something so my science box is empty and I know he has tech that I dont.
Do I take the city? Or is the risk to great so I have to let him rebuild his defence and counter attack me?

Taking it I would gain a city and 1 tech but then lose 1 tech so still be winning. But... the consequences could be quite bad.
-If I randomly lose a tech that is worth much more than the one I got what happens then? Is the lost tech 'cashed in' for the same number of bulbs?
-If I am building a wonder and lose the tech required I could lose a huge amount of resources (At least other players cant see this with small wonders)
-If I lose a tech for a city improvement or unit type then I will possibly lose resources, or get a random granary or elephant or something. Possibly even be unable to build something I just bought causing a waste of gold too. Either way it will screw up planned building.
-If my enemy is really advanced and I capture a tech that cost much more than any of my techs what happens then? Is my research reset to zero or does it go negative? So if my rearch goes to -200 and I can only produce 20 research per turn will I lose a technology every turn for 5 turns??

It looks to me like this is a rule that will have a much worse effect on players who dont trade tech than on those who do. Players will only trade if they have enough, and 25% (Or even 50%!) is still worth it so this wont effect trading atall. Instead it makes life hard for players who are SUCCESSFUL in capturing stuff. So I think it will actually promote playing a peaceful science trading alliance strategy.....

We shall see..
ifaesfu

Post by ifaesfu »

The effect of diplcost is minimum, more if it's only 25%. Diplcost doesn't act when a tech is won by conquest, it only does it when there is a treaty (gold/tech). There is another setting for that called conquercost.
So alliances can freely exchange techs using hub cities and diplomats, if I haven't misunderstood all this.
Lord_P

Post by Lord_P »

Ok great! Thats what I wanted to know. So long as it doesn't apply to conquer then there shouldn't be any problems :)
Nimrod

Post by Nimrod »

There goes any theory about "peaceful" play, eh ? =P
========================
"Shhh ! I'm hunting wabbitts ... "
NIMROD
========================
maho

Post by maho »

Lord_P wrote: -If I am building a wonder and lose the tech required I could lose a huge amount of resources (At least other players cant see this with small wonders)
I bet you will just get message that you cannot build this wonder in this city. Just like you build big wonder and is no longer available. You either change prod to something or you wait until you develop required tech. Unfortunately - you loose shields if you change prod.
-If I lose a tech for a city improvement or unit type then I will possibly lose resources, or get a random granary or elephant or something.
I'm not 100% sure, but I think it's like you conquer city with improvement which is outside your tech range. Nothing is automatically sold, you have building and you have it's effect.