Reputation, talking and stuff

Finished (teamless)
wieder

Reputation, talking and stuff

Post by wieder »

While every new game is supposed to be something new, it's well known that something travels between the games.

We have lots of new players (most of them probably from Greatturn) and while I assume this stuff is known by most of the players, it may be a good idea to mention in here.

Some players are known to keep their word, some are known to be extremely militaristic and some are known to play this the Sim City style. Most are more or less playing this as a combination of all that and more. The best way to find out how different players are playing the game is asking the rest of the players about them. If talking is not something you like to do, a simple question of "Hi! You war/peace/neutral/trust with xxx" will do the trick. And yeah, checking the game chat once in a while really is worth it. Private messages are easy. Write the beginning of the player's name in the chat with a : and press enter. Like this.

wied: Hi! Wanna exchange embassies?

I will get that as a private message. It has also been considered more polite to ask about establishing an embassy before doing so. Of course if you are planning to attack then it doesn't matter but if you are not sure, that may be a good idea.

Also remember that while playing the role and accusing the enemy of certain acts against your nation, it's part of the game and you shouldn't take it too personally. And of course never accuse someone in a way that could be more than just playing the game. Yeah, that can be tricky and I wish I had understood that better when I came to Longturn. Someone may be too annoyed when you play as a commie nation and accuse others for attacking our comrades - over and over again :P

In the end of the day you may want to play in LT34 once LT33 has ended and you may want to ally with the player you killed in LT33. That's why keeping your word and not doing too much and not too personal badmouthing matters. Maybe not for a true rogue nation, but it would be really tough to play as one :SS

Probably quite obvious for most of the players but anyway.

Maybe the rest of the players here would also like to share some views about how to contact with the other players and how to build a reputation?
edrim

Post by edrim »

Reputation is ...

It was 2007 when i joined LT community. Maho was a great admin for long time before and after this time, we have had better and worse times when games fails after start but it was still fun.

Once i have joined to LT it was couple of players who are still online and keep playing: maho, marduk, haken, pipo, mrsynical, Kryon(?)

I will write my great moments what i remember and it is still fresh:

In my first game i was in ally with mrsynical and one more player who is not playing LT (i hope) anymore. He has backstabbed mrsynical in worst possible way. This is what i dont like here but it is still possible way to win.

Next game AFAIR it was double agent game, it was fun and nobody knows who will win to the very end.

In LT10 i could get ally with Marduk and i couldn't sleep because of it, he was written as "- My name is Marduk, king of kings! Look on my works, ye mighty, and despair!" and i belived that he will backstab me, nothing like this happend and we end with 5 vs 15 players game, game where caravan bomb was invented and cut, so we dont have caravans making bulbs since LT10 or LT11.

Next games is not so good writen in my mind, in LT11 or something like this everybody wants to kill warserver players who has playing dirty way by teleportation units and all other stuff, teleportation is disabled nearly as long as caravan bulbs.

One game near LT18 I gave out my nation to other player and stop playing, i know it was bad and it is my sin still.

I remember one game wen we have two teams with 15 players each, it was very stupid game with fast killing and play on TC only. Hudge supermacy for team who could play on TC.

Did LT30 was first massive game? Maybe, in freeciv 2.3 age we where started to play massive games, I dont like it much because it is to loudy, thats why i have invented Ladder Wars, (new wave starting 1st Sep).

LT33 will bring LT FFA game after a year or something like it, as usual it will be hard to keep alive, but fun is add as everytime.
vidlius

Post by vidlius »

Bad form to set up a spy base.. I mean embassy with a neighbour? hrm, they will know anyway. I might not be too popular lol.
el_perdedor

Post by el_perdedor »

so, yeah, hi

well bout me, im not the chattiest and most of the time when im online im afk...

so sorry in advance for not answering.

yep, see you on the peacefield ;)
*--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------*
"bla bla, bla bla blablabla bla!"
-el perdedor!!!
12. July 2014 12:20 am
Lord_P

Post by Lord_P »

Yes, this true if you want to be part of a winning aliance and taking on the world is suicide. . But on the other hand, if you are a new player who doesn't really have a chance of "winning" you can learn a lot more from trying to survive as a lone wolf than being friends with everyone.
Even when you cant win, if you can figure out how to be a more costly player to kill than someone else that is also a reputation..
In general try to keep your word, only join alliance when you really mean it and will do your share, and trust no one :)
mmm2

Post by mmm2 »

Timeout is 23 hours here. Even if it's your first game you can be top player. Most of us can only afford to login for 10 to 15 minutes each turn, so often the best players of an LT are those that spend up to 5 hours or even more each turn micromanaging every aspect of game. This example is best put with player Maho, who probably has most experience, yet only spends 2-5 minutes online each turn. So obviously a noob spending 300 minutes a turn can defeat maho with only 2 minutes a turn.

most people not have much time to consider about reputation, and stuff, and other stuff. we just battle and when we die, we wait for next LT.
Last edited by mmm2 on Mon Jul 28, 2014 8:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
maho

Post by maho »

It's definitively untrue that I have most experience. Almost every player who I know has more knowledge about freeciv that me. In fact I'm quite weak player.

And I'm weak because I spend so little time for it :). I think that 5 minutes is good for early stage, when it's important to make good cities position, brilliant and brave action when you cut your neighbour from 4 cities to 3 or even 2.

But I estimate that for LT, you need at least half hour every day. Eg. to be able to track diplomacy things, treaties, gossips, news, etc from your neighbourhood. Well, to track who is current enemy and current ally of your alliance :).

When you spend 5 minutes per turn, you end attacking folk who is your ally from 10 turns but you missed it :).

However, I still do 5 minutes play, I don't calculate, don't track so hard, I play intuitively and I have fun in early stage of game, next I die.
mmm2

Post by mmm2 »

maho wrote:It's definitively untrue that I have most experience. Almost every player who I know has more knowledge about freeciv that me. In fact I'm quite weak player.

And I'm weak because I spend so little time for it :). I think that 5 minutes is good for early stage, when it's important to make good cities position, brilliant and brave action when you cut your neighbour from 4 cities to 3 or even 2.

But I estimate that for LT, you need at least half hour every day. Eg. to be able to track diplomacy things, treaties, gossips, news, etc from your neighbourhood. Well, to track who is current enemy and current ally of your alliance :).

When you spend 5 minutes per turn, you end attacking folk who is your ally from 10 turns but you missed it :).

However, I still do 5 minutes play, I don't calculate, don't track so hard, I play intuitively and I have fun in early stage of game, next I die.
i guess an appropriate analogy would be Gary Kasparov playing 1 minute blitz for entire game versus a low level master who has full 3 hours for entire game. Even Gary Kasparov will lose this match. In same way, Maho will lose game against anyone who has unlimited time. So, you can also defeat maho if you spend enough time ;)
Last edited by mmm2 on Tue Jul 29, 2014 12:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
el_perdedor

Post by el_perdedor »

well if I learned something in the GT is that if u dont do alliance u cant win. and better from the beginning, like neighbors ;)

also i learned that a LT(GT) is complete different than the 70 sec turn games...
*--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------*
"bla bla, bla bla blablabla bla!"
-el perdedor!!!
12. July 2014 12:20 am
Lord_P

Post by Lord_P »

mmm2 wrote:most people not have much time to consider about reputation, and stuff, and other stuff.
Exactly, thats why freeciv is pretty much the only game I still play...

Except for Wieder, who lives in such a wonderful communist paradise that he can play freeciv all day for the entertainment of the happy workers. Apart from when he is representing his nation in the olympics in the other national sport. So far the only player on the ranking with more wins than losses, hmmm :P

(Although you do need to consider the stuff. Freeciv is all about stuff).
wieder

Post by wieder »

Reputation is an easy one.

If you make deals, you either keep your word or don't. If you break the deals whenever you want, less and less people are willing to trust you in the future.

With 3 LT games and one LW game having more victories than defeats can easily be explained by luck.
Nimrod

Post by Nimrod »

“A house is just a place to keep your stuff while you go out and get more stuff.”

― George Carlin

lol :)
========================
"Shhh ! I'm hunting wabbitts ... "
NIMROD
========================