Server Down?

Finished (teamless)
cgalik

Server Down?

Post by cgalik »

Is the server down? I can not ping lt31.longturn.org and neither can somewhere in NY.

PING results

Host tested: lt31.longturn.org
Test performed from: New York, NY
Test performed at: 2013-01-01 01:29:21 (GMT +00:00)
PING games5.gameplanet.net.nz (58.28.25.75) 56(84) bytes of data.
--- games5.gameplanet.net.nz ping statistics ---
8 packets transmitted, 0 received, 100% packet loss, time 6996ms
Grendel

Post by Grendel »

Looks like it. I can't get on either.
det0r

Post by det0r »

Hmmm, looks like it. I'll try get in touch with the server admin
det0r

Post by det0r »

A ticket has been submitted at the hosting provider - once the server is up we will hopefully be able to keep playing and at some point the vm will be cloned on to another machine.

Notification Type: PROBLEM
Host: games5
State: DOWN
Address: 58.28.25.75
Info: CRITICAL - Host Unreachable (58.28.25.75)

Date/Time: Tue Jan 1 14:22:13 NZDT 2013
Xercise

Post by Xercise »

FYI, at 10:30 London, UK (GMT): I could also not log in.
monamipierrot

Post by monamipierrot »

Can't login from Italy
Dimitril

Post by Dimitril »

It tell me operation success but then nothing happen. Server seem down or inactive.
Rommel

Post by Rommel »

Still down it seems...Unable to login.
det0r

Post by det0r »

Yes Jan 1st was a public holiday in NZ so nothing was going to happen yesterday. I'm surprised they haven't been reset today though, it is possible that all of the server technicians are on holiday or the machine could be completely fucked.
Tuhin

Post by Tuhin »

Can't log in for 2 days. From South East Asia - Bangladesh. Hope it will get up soon and when it does, players be notified by email.
sokrat

Post by sokrat »

Has the free hosting ended on 31/12/2012 ?
det0r

Post by det0r »

The server has been restarted several times and it won't boot suggesting hardware failure. James (the gameplanet gamesmaster) has offered to move us on to another box, but it will be some time before he can get to the physical machine and take out the HDD/inspect it (the ISP don't do hardware maintenance on co-located machines).
kull

Post by kull »

as soon server is up again, i propose to have the first turn as soon start again to 48h. And perhaps consider send an e-mail as well! To prevent someone lost turns.
kingofnerds

Post by kingofnerds »

were any of the savegames backed up? or are they all on the failed server?
==== In the end, Nerds with Linux will rule the world ====
det0r

Post by det0r »

I don't think there were any external backups of the savegame, but I'm fairly sure the server should have some kind of mirroring/parity bit RAID array. We just need to wait for someone to go play with all of the hardware.
davide

Post by davide »

I'm sorry for the server, and even more for the admin; I am admin of various public services too, and trust me, when your stuff goes down, it's much more a sadness for the admin himself than for any other user. I hope for akfaew he'll succeed to restore every bit of Longturn the soonest.

I have assembled a Longturn myself, on a server of mine, which is publicly playable. Actually, it's only similar to Longturn, but the principle of the "long turns" is the same. It is called Greatturn, and it seems like a coincidence, but it's built with the central goal to be stable over time and resist crashes. If you are interested, I opened the registrations for the first match only 2 days ago. It may be an alternative worth to play, if the server should remain offline more days than expected. I wrote more details on the homepage, on greatturn.org .
Last edited by davide on Fri Jan 04, 2013 1:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
Dimitril

Post by Dimitril »

Hardware failure make sence.
monamipierrot

Post by monamipierrot »

Shame on those who believed the Mayas, with all that nonsenses about the infinite duration (!) of our LT31 universe.
They'd better listen to our scientist who kept telling us about a more than probable end of our donut world about turn #50.
Anyway, consider yourselves lucky: the end of the universe is much better than being annihilated by the Holy Sword of the Templars Knights.
davide

Post by davide »

Kryon wrote:Davide, nice alternate website! I registered for your first LT game to beta test it. In fact, why don't you and akfaew join forces instead of competing for players. You could run a single website together while administrating two different games running on two different servers.
Thank you! If akfaew likes, he could administer a Greatturn game on the current LT server. The code is available at: freeciv-mundi.org/home/index.php?title=Greatturn .
Xercise

Post by Xercise »

akfaew wrote:We need to wait for the guys at gameplanet.nz to recover lt31's $HOME dir. I have no idea how long this will take, and I have no power over it. I'm really sorry about this, I should have made backups. This was a rookie mistake.
Shit happens, I am glad you guys are organising this and it is free, so we'll wait patiently and strategise for taking over the 'resurrected' world once it's back!
Vendicar

Post by Vendicar »

COmputers really are rubbish, aren't they...
kingofnerds

Post by kingofnerds »

Thanks for all the work you do on this. Take your time on getting it back up. don't rush, and things will turn out great. remember haste makes waste.
==== In the end, Nerds with Linux will rule the world ====