AI Barbarians and Pirates

Finished (experimental)
johnhx

AI Barbarians and Pirates

Post by johnhx »

Can we expect AI barbarians and pirates to appear at T60? According to the game settings / military we can but another player has told me there won't be.
bardo

Post by bardo »

Barbarians appear dissabled in the server settings: set barbarians=0

I have just noticed that Terror, the player who made the setup for this game, was banned. However, I have revised the rules and I think he made and impeccable job, a good mix of civ2civ3 ruleset with Longturn usual rules. The only thing that he readjusted was the cost and obsolescence of some wonders, you should check them to verify they are right for a longturn game.

Let me one question to players, do you find the game slower compared to default rules? Since there are no trade routes, nor rapture growth and less trade bonuses, I'm afraid it could take longer to research. In the other hand, the tech leakage (techs cheaper if already researched by players you have embasy with) may compensate it.
det0r

Post by det0r »

There was an in-game message at the start of last turn that some pirates had spawned and dangerous times lay ahead.

The wonders seem good so far. Previously they were broken (i.e. 100 shields for Eiffel tower which gave 1 free unit in every city etc).

LT progresses much quicker early game due to the increased movement speed, but from turns 30 onwards it is definitely much slower. Usually we don't play with islands as well, which means you need to build more defensive units etc and you can't just go mass tech early on.
kevin551

Post by kevin551 »

I will be surprised if barbarians appear in this game.
In the last game we fixed the rulesets so that Barbarians and Pirates are regular nations.
I played Pirates last game. There is a human player playing the Barbarian nation in this game.

I agree that Terror did a great job revising the civ2civ3 ruleset. An example he removed the Marco Polo's Embassy wonder. It has been standard LT practice to remove this wonder for many years.

And yes the game is much slower than before. The multiplayer ruleset was absurdly fast, so this is a welcome change.
kevin551

Post by kevin551 »

People keep talking about the arrival of Pirates. I am doubtful.
I played Pirates last game. I tested a game with the nations rulesets altered such that Pirates is a normal player.

In the case that the game tries to spawn a pirate nation but there are no valid nations to choose from the game will crash.
ifaesfu

Post by ifaesfu »

Pirates have already destroyed one of my cities.