LTT ruleset changes needing more consideration

for discussing general ruleset issues that carry from game to game
wieder

LTT ruleset changes needing more consideration

Post by wieder »

..Or stuff that should be implemented.

Women's Suffrage needs to be changed. Can't be obsoleted much later with this setup because it would make war too easy with democracy. Maybe it could be changed to give some kind of trade bonus?

The Pyramids also needs to be obsoleted later or maybe in phases. It's now obsoleted with chemistry. It's too expensive if the cost goes up and that makes it unsuitable to be used as an alternative to monarchy or republic. However if it's obsoleted later it's a must build. One solution would be obsoleting the production bonus with chemistry and the tile output penalty with rails.

Maybe restoring the effect of rails lifting the tile output penalty for every nation and gov.
Last edited by wieder on Mon Nov 09, 2020 8:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
wieder

Post by wieder »

storing this here:

"I think too much precautions were taken in rulesets like LT54 against stock-pilling cheap units for further upgrade: 1. no cheap upgrade, 2. rank degradation during upgrade, even paid one, 3. short life of Sun Tzu."

"I propose, to keep high price of upgrade, but paid upgrade doesn't degrade veteran rank upgrade_veteran_loss = 0, while leonardo upgrade degrade it autoupgrade_veteran_loss = 1 in game ruleset. Additionally, Leonardo should upgrade 2 units/turn.
It would provide nice balance: weak player can make Leonardo and keep his units up-to-date, while warmonger with sun-tzu or trained catapults either need to constantly pay upgrade elite units or avoid making Leonardo."

"Maybe we could go the RTS way and upgrade all units at once the moment the research is made (we need to make the research costlier ofc)

And after the research all units are made in the upgraded version."

"I kinda get the feeling that generous autoupgrading would need some other changes too.
I mean, designing others things with that in mind. Like, gradual upgrades of units, not sharp steps, like we have from pre-gunpowder foot soldiers to Musketeers"

"we might need very few changed if we would add auto upgrade to players having certain techs but limiting the number of units that are upgraded. for example, having the tech of invention would give you 1 auto upgraded units every turn and having the tech university would give +1 more auto upgrade and having the tech theology one more. or something like that. that would also make it much more interesting to rush for techs instead of waiting them to become so very cheap...?"
wieder

Post by wieder »

I think Big Siege units are overpowered even without veteranship obtaining bonuses. The problem is, they have no bonuses against them. My suggestions (changes to LT54):
* Barracks give veteranship;
* Separate veteran system (e.g. 5 times +10% strength, no move bonus);
* All defend bonuses as against Land units except ones of fortress and city walls;
* Hills with no road are non-native;
* Speed 2mp+Automobile gives +1mp, Howitzers have 3mp. Maybe Catapults should have only 1mp but be converted from a transportable unit with 2mp.
Corbeau

Post by Corbeau »

What's the problem with Pyramids, again?
wieder

Post by wieder »

The pyramids is a must build wonder. Then again... Maybe it's not a problem. It can also be thought as a timing issue. When to build. Not about if to build.
Wahazar

Post by Wahazar »

wieder wrote:The pyramids is a must build wonder. Then again... Maybe it's not a problem. It can also be thought as a timing issue. When to build. Not about if to build.
Pyramids are most built wonder because allow to speed run into Republic, which offer lot of additional trade from each land tile.
If woman Suffrage would be required to get this additional trade income, Republic is no longer a must-have point on roadmap. It still can get additional trade from celebration, but not a free one until Woman Suffrage is done.