RoundSquare Tileset (Trident modified to look good)

Promote your stuff here
Hans_Lemurson

RoundSquare Tileset (Trident modified to look good)

Post by Hans_Lemurson »

This looks like a good place to post about the RoundSquare tileset that I've made for use in the LT games.
http://forum.freeciv.org/f/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=90266

A 30x30 tileset is great for viewing these large maps, but unfortunately Trident graphics are UGLY and make my eyes bleed.
I replaced or modified nearly every terrain graphic to give a crisper, cleaner, easier-on-the-eyes set of graphics that make looking at the strategic map a pleasure, instead of a pain.

Here is an example image from LT45.
As you can see, the Units and Cities are still Trident graphics, but the terrain is much more readable!
I broke up the Hills/Forests/Mountains so that it's easier to see where tiles begin and end without having to impose the ugly grid-lines.
The rounded contours of the coastline graphics give the name to the Tile Set.
You may have also noticed that I changed the Tile yield graphics to show "pips" instead of numbers. I find this easier to read without cluttering up the landscape with text. Bright green is for food surplus from a tile, red means that tile costs food to work.

I am also trying to keep it up to date with the addition of new units, finding or creating suitable graphics for the special units added to the game.
I added the Square-Rigged Caravel yesterday:
Last edited by Hans_Lemurson on Fri May 01, 2020 5:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
louis94

Post by louis94 »

Oooh a picture from LT45!
Hans_Lemurson

Post by Hans_Lemurson »

Yeah, I thought it was a better idea to use a PAST game for an illustration of RoundSquare, rather than a current one like LT51 ;).
I made a map of all of Green Team's land shortly before I had to depart that game. It showed a nice variety of terrain and action.
Hans_Lemurson

Post by Hans_Lemurson »

Age of Sail upgrade for RoundSquare:
http://forum.freeciv.org/f/viewtopic.ph ... 50#p102389