Changing the ruleset for LTex2.4

Finished (experimental)
kevin551

Changing the ruleset for LTex2.4

Post by kevin551 »

The current ruleset being used for LTex2.3B is an adaptation of the multiplayer ruleset included in freeciv. We used this for LTex2.3 and LT30. Because the wonder system is too generous we are adapting the ruleset for future games.

It was me who suggested using this ruleset and I now regret it. I do not think it has improved the game. And I don't think it adds many new or interesting features. But it was only by using it that we found this out.

I now suggest we try out a different ruleset for the next series of LTeX2.4 games. Not the game to be started soon that this thread is about but a future game that uses Freeciv 2.4 The ruleset is called Civ2Civ3 and can be found here http://forum.freeciv.org/viewtopic.php?t=6330

The Civ2Civ3 has way more changes and new features than the multiplayer. But it will need adapting for longturn. These things take time which is why I suggest it now. Perhaps some of the better rewonder features could be merged from our current games.
mrsynical

Post by mrsynical »

Kryon wrote: With 60+ players Great Wonders are very unfair. Small wonders are fair but brings no strategic decision making. I had suggested a solution: Keep Great Wonders but the building cost increases every time another player builds that wonder. The discussion is here http://forum.longturn.org/viewtopic.php?id=118
Why not make everything a great wonder again?? Was it really that bad?

Sure they are unfair but at least there is some incentive to try and get the wonders. I guess one problem, is once somebody establishes a production lead, they get all the wonders?? but we can increase the costs of some wonders.

Fiddling with the wonders seems full of danger.
kevin551

Post by kevin551 »

Kryon wrote:
Wow, this ruleset brings a lot of changes. It'll change the game considerably. I really like some of them but I'd not vote for many others. I suggest we vote on each change (or at least each category) individually.
The point is to try out a lot of new features. If we have to vote on them one by one this will never happen. Waiting for 2.4.1 seems fine. This idea is for a game quite a while in the future. But do not expect all the bugs in 2.4.0 or the Civ2Civ3 ruleset to be found beforehand. They will only be found when we start using it.
bardo

Post by bardo »

Hello all.
The ruleset Civ2Civ3 is being considered to be included in freeciv official releases, but developers are waiting for more feedback from players. It would be great if you decide to test it in LTex, to help us to fine tune the rules, and to find possible bugs or unbalances.
The forum freeciv.org is down, but you can download Civ2Civ3 by using the tool "freeciv-modpack.exe" included with Freeciv (the modpack is named civ2-3 there).
I really think the latest version 2.3-2 is reasonably balanced for a multiplayer game. (Note there is a pending fix to corruption and waste under Republic government that will be included in next version).
I would thank comments or suggestions about the rules even if you finally do not use them for Longturn games.
Last edited by bardo on Wed Apr 11, 2012 2:54 am, edited 1 time in total.