Cannot connect to LT42

Finished (Teamless)
Catbert45

Cannot connect to LT42

Post by Catbert45 »

I have not been able to connect to LT42 for the past three days. I have been talking to Corbeau about this, but we have not been able to resolve the problem. I have checked the port, username and password, they are all correct. I tried uninstalling and reinstalling Freeciv, trying to log in several times over the day and even changing clients from GTK to QT to see if anything worked, but I have not had any luck. I can play singleplayer and connect to non-Longturn servers normally.

Any help to resolve this issue would be appreciated. I hope this problem can be solved, but if it can't, you should give my nation to someone else otherwise with no leader it will be so weak that nobody will want to take it over.
wieder

Post by wieder »

Can you receive mail with your registered email address? I can set you a new password for your game account if the problem is with the password.
Catbert45

Post by Catbert45 »

I can receive email but I do not think the password is the problem.
wieder

Post by wieder »

What exactly happens? Do you get a chat only interface? If you do, then try writing

/take Catbert45

On the public chat.

Also try to connect to LT45 if you manage to connect to the chat interface there?
Catbert45

Post by Catbert45 »

wieder wrote:What exactly happens? Do you get a chat only interface? If you do, then try writing

/take Catbert45

On the public chat.

Also try to connect to LT45 if you manage to connect to the chat interface there?
No, I can't even load LT42. I type in the login details and it says the connection failed. Also I tried LT45 and the same thing happened.
Corbeau

Post by Corbeau »

Are you using Freeciv 2.5 or 2.6 ?
wieder

Post by wieder »

Yeah, Freeciv 2.5 is what you should be using. It doesn't work with 2.6 or with some other version.

From the logs it seems that your connection request did not even reach the server. If you are using 2.5 then the reason might be with with ISP or maybe with the firewall you are using. If you have allies on the game, maybe you could delegate to them while you can't connect? If not allies, maybe someone you are sharing vision with?
Catbert45

Post by Catbert45 »

I am using Freeciv 2.5. It cannot be ISP or firewall since it worked before. There was a Windows update recently though... I will have to delegate until I can connect again. Maybe it was the windows update?
Corbeau

Post by Corbeau »

Do you have any other computer you can connect from?
Catbert45

Post by Catbert45 »

Corbeau wrote:Do you have any other computer you can connect from?
No, I don't.
wieder

Post by wieder »

It very much sounds like the problem happens because of the windows update maybe closed some ports or disallowed the freeciv program from using internet access.

Does anyone remember how to check the firewall settings from a windows 10 machine? I believe you have Win10?

You can also try the following:

Open a commend promp by writing CMD on the search.

Type the following command:

tracert longturn.org

and see if there will be a long (more than 2-3) list of addresses so that you know the route to the server works fine.

Alternatively, if you are using some specific internet connection, do you have the possibiity to try another internet connection? Even while it worked before there is a slight chance that something was changed there. On the ISP side.

Very hard to say what could be done. I'm more like trying to rule out possible issues. Let us know how it goes. Maybe someone has better ideas.
Catbert45

Post by Catbert45 »

Yes, I do have Windows 10. But I just realised there is an Android Freeciv app, maybe that might work on my phone? Meanwhile, I tried connecting using mobile data tethering, connecting my computer to my phone's mobile data. It did not work either. At least we know it is not the wifi now though.

Is it possible to play Multiplayer on a phone freeciv app? If it is, I might try that.
wieder

Post by wieder »

Maybe you should check the Win10 firewall setting according to this guide? It seems that there are no logs about your connection attempts on the game so it's like your computer prevents the outbound connections.

https://www.online-tech-tips.com/window ... -settings/

I doubt the Android client would work but maybe it's worth trying.
Catbert45

Post by Catbert45 »

I tried the Android client but it did not even have multiplayer. So I checked the firewall and the program was allowed through but for some reason my antivirus thinks it is a virus. So I told the antivirus it was not a virus and tried again, but it still did not work. And I don't want to completely disable my antivirus because it could be unsafe. But the weird thing is the antivirus is McAffee, it has nothing to do with the Windows update. So what the hell is going on???
Last edited by Catbert45 on Tue Dec 11, 2018 12:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
wieder

Post by wieder »

Maybe you could try installing different versions of Freeciv 2.5 and see if that helps. At least 2.5.7 is working quite well. Maybe you could also send a message to the antivirus support and and them about it.
Catbert45

Post by Catbert45 »

I tried other versions of Freeciv 2.5, they did not work. I haven't gotten round to sending a message to the antivirus support yet, I ran out of time. But I tried temporarily disabling McAffee and enabling Windows Defender to see if that worked. It didn't, so I disabled Windows Defender and tried again. Still no luck. Maybe McAffee blocks any program that it thinks is a virus even when it is disabled, if it already found that program before?
Wahazar

Post by Wahazar »

If you can connect other servers normally, seems that longturn port was blocked. Check your firewall settings.
Catbert45

Post by Catbert45 »

Wahazar, I have already tried that before. I talked about it in this previous post:
Catbert45 wrote:I tried the Android client but it did not even have multiplayer. So I checked the firewall and the program was allowed through but for some reason my antivirus thinks it is a virus. So I told the antivirus it was not a virus and tried again, but it still did not work. And I don't want to completely disable my antivirus because it could be unsafe. But the weird thing is the antivirus is McAffee, it has nothing to do with the Windows update. So what the hell is going on???
Last edited by Catbert45 on Wed Dec 12, 2018 8:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
Wahazar

Post by Wahazar »

Catbert45 wrote:Wahazar, I have already tried that before.
Try it again, maybe disable firewall for a while. Or check port settings. Add longturn.org to trusted zone?

Firewall may let freeciv connect by itself, but for some reasons he started to block longturn ports.
Standard freeciv port is 5556. You told that you was able to connect standard games? If yes, freeciv can connect, but not on any port.

Each longturn game use different port, for example 5042 for LT42.
Catbert45

Post by Catbert45 »

Wahazar wrote:
Catbert45 wrote:Wahazar, I have already tried that before.
Try it again, maybe disable firewall for a while. Or check port settings. Add longturn.org to trusted zone?

Firewall may let freeciv connect by itself, but for some reasons he started to block longturn ports.
Standard freeciv port is 5556. You told that you was able to connect standard games? If yes, freeciv can connect, but not on any port.

Each longturn game use different port, for example 5042 for LT42.
5042 is not blocked, that was the port I have checked. I actually haven't checked 5556 yet because I can connect to other servers so I just assumed that 5556 was OK. Are there any other ports that also need to be used to run a Longturn game?
wieder

Post by wieder »

Port 5042 should the the only one needed for LT42. You can also try connecting to LT45 on port 5045.
Catbert45

Post by Catbert45 »

Port 5045 was not blocked either, and I have tried connecting to LT45 previously and it didn't work. I also checked 5556, it seems to be unblocked too.
Corbeau

Post by Corbeau »

So you can actually connect to LT45?