LT47 will be (hopefully) the first 2.6 game

Finished (Teamless)
wieder

LT47 will be (hopefully) the first 2.6 game

Post by wieder »

Post here ideas and stuff about what kind of game you want.

Some basic ideas:

- about 100-120 turns making it faster than usual
- normal LT tech tree and not hand edited
- the poles could be enabled for a change?

The start is in about a month but it's not a fixed date.
Corbeau

Post by Corbeau »

Time for a regular, straight, boring, standard LT game. Haven't had that in a while.

Would be nice to enable tech stealing by diplomats, though.

Not necessarily by conquest.
jwrober

Post by jwrober »

There are some client issues with tilesets in 2.6 we will need to figure out. Right now we have players able to use any tileset they want. 2.6 has settings that limit that.

I like the idea of X and Y wrapped poles. I also like a "classic" game. Can we add some of LT42's simulation to it though? for example instead of a fixed city footprint, go with an expanding one based on city size.

Can we do something about global warming being over powerful?

Bring back all the cool/fun features of fundamentalism from LT44.
wieder

Post by wieder »

What's the actual problem with 2.6 tilesets?

It was an error to remove the trade bonus from fundamentalism. That will be restored to the new game and it should make funda almost as good as it was on LT44.

If we manage to pull off 2.6 there should be this cool new patch zoltan wrote for tuning down the global warming and also tuning up the nuclear winter.

The city working areas might be something that could be considered but maybe in more classic style? Like having them as classic ones in the start but allowing them to grow around the mid game. That would allow some new ways for planning the city locations while not really changing the game too much. Maybe getting a bigger working area once hitting size 17 or something like that?

Oh.. And the x y wrapping is one there will be but I mean adding the actual pole glacier areas to the game. Those are usually disabled.
jwrober

Post by jwrober »

wieder wrote:What's the actual problem with 2.6 tilesets?
There are settings on the geological tab for map topology index. You can set isometric, hexagonal, both, or neither. If you set iso, then you have to use an iso tileset, if you pick both then you have to use either an iso or hex tileset. If you pick neither then you have to use an overhead tileset (managed via local client settings). They way things are in 2.5 now is anyone can use any tileset they like. 2.6 seems to lock you into one and everyone uses it.
wieder wrote:It was an error to remove the trade bonus from fundamentalism. That will be restored to the new game and it should make funda almost as good as it was on LT44.
Awesome!
wieder wrote:If we manage to pull off 2.6 there should be this cool new patch zoltan wrote for tuning down the global warming and also tuning up the nuclear winter.
Double awesome. I like the concept of super powerful nuclear winter.
wieder wrote:The city working areas might be something that could be considered but maybe in more classic style? Like having them as classic ones in the start but allowing them to grow around the mid game. That would allow some new ways for planning the city locations while not really changing the game too much. Maybe getting a bigger working area once hitting size 17 or something like that?
I like that idea. Start with the classic 20 tiles around a city at formation. Maybe get to the current size that we play when the city is size 9 and then grow to something even bigger at 17 and maybe even bigger than that at 30?
wieder wrote:Oh.. And the x y wrapping is one there will be but I mean adding the actual pole glacier areas to the game. Those are usually disabled.
Ok. Can we go over the poles? that is something I would like to see, hence the request for both X and Y wrapping.
zoltan

Post by zoltan »

You can use iso or non-iso tilesets for any square topo- it might just involve command line flags or editing rc files.
Last edited by zoltan on Fri Dec 07, 2018 6:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
Caedo

Post by Caedo »

Actually, last I checked, you can just type in the tileset name in the respective field in the local settings dialog. No need for command line parameters or any of that jazz. See here.
wieder

Post by wieder »

You can go over the poles and even build roads there. The poles have few tundra or similar tiles on the edges but most of the pole areas will be glacier taking 4 moves just like swamps and hills on standard LT. The poles may have some strategical value as you can build bases there. There is a setting to connect/not to connect the poles to the rest of the landmass. Connecting makes a bit more interesting map but also more unfair since someone's starting position may be located close to the pole even while not on the actual pole area. The areas close to the poles are mostly tundra.
jwrober

Post by jwrober »

Caedo wrote:Actually, last I checked, you can just type in the tileset name in the respective field in the local settings dialog. No need for command line parameters or any of that jazz. See here.
I had no idea you could type a value in a drop down box in client settings. I've never tried. I'll have to check that out.

We will need to publish this to players and ensure we set the serv parameters appropriately so anyone can use whatever tileset they like for our games.
Corbeau

Post by Corbeau »

So, how is this going? 2.6 or 2.5 and when?

Also, winning conditions? Team victory or score?
wieder

Post by wieder »

It's possible and very likely that the game will be postponed. First there are not that many players confirmed participation but also because 2.6 is not yet figured out. Now we could of course do it with 2.5 because adding it to the git would be fast with next to no changes. However with low number of players...
jwrober

Post by jwrober »

Maybe turn LT47 into an experimental game on 2.6 and run some tests?
Corbeau

Post by Corbeau »

jwrober wrote:Maybe turn LT47 into an experimental game on 2.6 and run some tests?
That's a good idea, actually. Just have some basic fun with the ruleset and make it clear that ruleset is possible to change during the game. Add AIs that late joiners may take over.
Vladimir

Post by Vladimir »

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1FWi ... sp=sharing

what is the "(except ocean to swamps and back)".

i may terraforming Ocean??
[em]Civ[/em]
Corbeau

Post by Corbeau »

Vladimir wrote:https://docs.google.com/document/d/1FWi ... sp=sharing

what is the "(except ocean to swamps and back)".

i may terraforming Ocean??
Correct.

The file you quoted refers to LT42 which has very different rules, but this one thing works for all games.
Vladimir

Post by Vladimir »

Corbeau, so I can walk on water?? and how many cells? What are ground units?
[em]Civ[/em]
Corbeau

Post by Corbeau »

I don't understand the question.

Ground units can't walk on water, but they can be put on a ship and work from there.
Vladimir

Post by Vladimir »

Corbeau wrote:Ground units can't walk on water, but they can be put on a ship and work from there.
thx for the reply!

and another. When you can begin tests on the LT47, and who will be able to participate in them?
[em]Civ[/em]
Corbeau

Post by Corbeau »

When - nobody knows, but soon. Who - everybody who registered for LT47.
Vladimir

Post by Vladimir »

Corbeau wrote:Who - everybody who registered for LT47.
next question) As will come out invitations?

that is, somewhere (for example in this thread of the forum) will be sent messages like "Hey! you, you and you - connect to 2.6 today at 00:01 am!" Or is there another means of communication?

and where i can go for this fast game? Right in 2.6 this will open as new game, and I have a password for it?
Last edited by Vladimir on Thu Jan 10, 2019 2:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
[em]Civ[/em]
Corbeau

Post by Corbeau »

Best way is to check this forum once per day.

Also, it will be 2.5, not 2.6. You open the client, click "Connect to internet game" and enter

longturn.org
port: 5047
Vladimir

Post by Vladimir »

ok.

but why am I seeing this:

Last edited by Vladimir on Fri Jan 11, 2019 2:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
[em]Civ[/em]
HanduMan

Post by HanduMan »

Vladimir wrote:ok.

but why am I seeing this:
There's something wrong with your language pack and/or character set used in the game's notification area. It's trying to tell you that there exists a newer version (2.6.0) of Freeciv and you are using an old one.
Last edited by HanduMan on Sat Jan 12, 2019 12:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Vladimir

Post by Vladimir »

HanduMan wrote: There's...
yeah, I understand.
more precisely, he says that "no have new versions", as it is just 2.6.

But it does not matter. Just weird why the discrepancy between the language packs, because all the other English phrases I always see normal...

and these strange squares I get only after trying to connect to 5047.
Last edited by Vladimir on Sat Jan 12, 2019 2:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
[em]Civ[/em]
HanduMan

Post by HanduMan »

Vladimir wrote: and these strange squares I get only after trying to connect to 5047.
So it's a different message then. Obviously the game server has not yet been started so there is nothing to connect to. Maybe it's trying to tell you that with those squares?
Corbeau wrote:Best way is to check this forum once per day.

Also, it will be 2.5, not 2.6. You open the client, click "Connect to internet game" and enter

longturn.org
port: 5047
So, have patience. And whe someone finally announces that the server is up, connect with 2.5 client as the server wil probably refuse clients of higher main version.