New techs for LT46 (4th draft)

The follow up to the more experimental LT40. Based on LT40 but with more features, more units, new buildings, new techs on the tech tree and with improved unit based tech trading. LT46 will start sometime in 2020.
wieder

New techs for LT46 (4th draft)

Post by wieder »

The idea with most of the techs is to add more techs to middle game and late game. The techs in the late game often advance too fast and there are also techs giving many advances at once. Adding the techs will probably also need adjusting the tech costs while not using the actual experimental techs costs but similar ones.

All the techs should be realistic and if there are errors we can fix those.

The new techs:

Tech: Rocket Engine, allows the missile. Requires combustion and is required for advanced flight.

Tech: Naval Aviation, allows the aircraft carrier. Requires advanced flight and is required for combined arms.

Tech: Advanced Stealth, allows the stealth fighter. Requires Stealth

Tech: Anti-Aircraft, allows SAM battery, requires machine tools and is required for advanced flight

Tech: Cavalry, allows cavalry, requires leadership and is required for tactics

Tech: Drama, allows Shakespeare's Theatre, requires sanitation and theology and is required for refrigeration

Tech: Port facilities, allows the port facility, requires theology and gunpowder and is required for electricity

Tech: Advanced Road Transport, allows Super Highways, requires automobile

Tech: Police Organization, allows the Police Station, requires communism and is required for labor union

Tech: Fish Farming, allows the Harbor Improvement, requires electricity

Tech: Television, allows Broadcasting Company, requires radio and is required for robotics

Tech: Solar Panels, allows Solar Plant, requires recycling and is needed for environmentalism

This list will be updated.

New improvements:

Broadcasting Company small wonder makes one unhappy (even because of war) happy in each city the player owns
Last edited by wieder on Sun Jul 29, 2018 6:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sketlux

Post by Sketlux »

I know Im bugging with this topic all the time... but common, new techs but no new untis??? :-)
Wahazar

Post by Wahazar »

This clumpy "advanced flight" with new 4 units always bugged me, I had similar idea to break it apart:
flight (fighter)
radio (bombarder)
radar (airbase)
advanced flight (awacs, carrier)
Sketlux

Post by Sketlux »

http://forum.freeciv.org/f/viewtopic.ph ... 038#p99038

Got a WWI fighter ready for trident and amplio...

Getting an amplio WWI bomber is a matter of minutes but not doing something on that front without a proper "go"

While at it: we could also introduce fighter-bombers/dive bombers (graphics ready...)

Anyhow, so many units are already done for both graphics that I encourage people to look for units that could give that little extra to the game. Follow link above.
Last edited by Sketlux on Sun Jul 29, 2018 9:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
wieder

Post by wieder »

There will be at least some new units :)

Just not sure what those will be.
Sketlux

Post by Sketlux »

WWI bomber, stormtrooper and arbalest in both graphics ready...

Edit:
And 2 transport planes. It always bugged me that you can move units for free and invisible through airports without acitvely and physically moving them like with transport vessels. So what about introducing them? Im working on a third plane so 3 generations would be available.
Last edited by Sketlux on Tue Jul 31, 2018 8:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
fran

Post by fran »

Sketlux wrote:It always bugged me that you can move units for free and invisible through airports without acitvely and physically moving them like with transport vessels. So what about introducing them?
Right, that's really unrealistic. I second introducing cargo planes. The small alternative would be to rename the airports beamports.
wieder

Post by wieder »

Cargo planes might make sense if it would be possible to prevent unloading outside the cities.
Sketlux

Post by Sketlux »

Airport or an airstrip as requirement?
fran

Post by fran »

wieder wrote:Cargo planes might make sense if it would be possible to prevent unloading outside the cities.
Depends on the unit. Parachutes can unload outside, there are also parachute tanks.
I also suggest a new unit, the large range reconnaissance trooper (german: Fernspäher).
It's a unit that looks like a rifle, can be airdropped, is visible only to adjacent tiles and has a decent vision,
only 1 MP and 0 or very low DP. It also can unload from submarines and warships to coast.
The purpose of the unit is to provide an early reconnaissance unit. The only one so far are explorer and awacs.
The classic cold war scenario for Fernspäher was to provide intel from behind enemy line as long as enemy needs to triangulate the radio waves. After that, game over. Today it's not only a suicidal stationary but a movement mission, but for invisibility reasons, movement is very very slow.

Fusion power is no apt technology for head of tech tree. It's in every hydrogen bomb. So, if airports would be restricted to use with cargo planes, another top technology, "beaming", could be introduced that enables building of beamports, which essentially are as airports are now. But personally I think beaming is way to powerful.

BTW, ports don't allow land units to magically swim to another port without transport vessel. Why should airports?
Last edited by fran on Wed Aug 01, 2018 10:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
Sketlux

Post by Sketlux »

I also suggest a new unit, the large range reconnaissance trooper (german: Fernspäher)
Commando sprite could do the trick...

As for reco, precursor of the awacs could be balloon --> Zeppelin...
Last edited by Sketlux on Wed Aug 01, 2018 12:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
wieder

Post by wieder »

From the gameplay point of view it might not be that good idea if the airports would be replaced with something different. That different would be allowing all land units to be moved with transport airplanes to anywhere and shill have moved left. With airports on LT40 you were able to move one unit to a city with airport and that unit would be out of moves.

There is also helicopter you can already use for moving units behind enemy lines. And the subs may be able to move spies with rivers, like the triremes do.

We could make the airports more expensive maybe? Or maybe add the transport plane. The awacs sprite could be used as the alternative sprite if no transport sprite is available. How about that? We could also add a new tech for the transport plane :)
Sketlux

Post by Sketlux »

WWI bomber, fighter and tank are ready. Defining them should be easy as they are simply weaker than their successors.

For medieval units we could start with the arbalest. Same case. Just a better archer.

How can I post images here?

For the meantime I will refer to:

http://forum.freeciv.org/f/viewtopic.ph ... 181#p99180
http://forum.freeciv.org/f/viewtopic.ph ... 183#p99181
http://forum.freeciv.org/f/viewtopic.ph ... 181#p99181
Last edited by Sketlux on Sat Aug 11, 2018 10:40 am, edited 1 time in total.