Possible solutions to fix the problems with tc moves

Current and future games
wieder

Possible solutions to fix the problems with tc moves

Post by wieder »

I'll update this message with possible solutions people will post to this thread

1) global unitwaittime applied to the player
2) global unitwaittime applied based on status of being allied/shared vision/something else? (to the alliance/something else)
3) tc happening at a random time (+- n seconds)
4) actions taken n seconds before the tc would take all the moves for the next turn with a n% probability
5) "workerparalysistime" meaning that the work can't be completed the same turn if the *worker* can see an enemy unit. if the work starts n seconds before tc
6) allowing the player to stay online only before or after the tc maybe with a n minute (like 20) kick if the player is online both sides of the tc (bad language, but you get the point maybe?
7) tc could also be a blackout time with all players kicked out and no one left in for some time like 15 minutes
8) unitwaittime to apply to unit activities outside border
9) apply UWT for all units within X tiles from the unit that moved just before TC
10) freeze time 5h before TC. You can't move any unit nor change its order (road to fort etc) 5 hours before turn change. This+10h unwaittime create buffer, which make this game more turn-based than RTS one.
11) with less than n seconds to the tc there would be a timeLeft/n=lessMoves multiplier to the moves the unit will have next turn. Like with 100 sec n and moving 50 sec before tc the unit would lose 50% of the moves for the next turn.
12) Tile Wait Time: no action (including other unit entering) can be applied to the tile during Wait Time
13) Work Wait Time: If action (such as road building) happens less than WT hours before TC, it ends not at TC, but exactly WT hours after it started.

Feel free to comment. I'll update the list so that we can have the ideas in one place.
Last edited by wieder on Mon Dec 10, 2018 1:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Corbeau

Post by Corbeau »

Full unified UWT for ALL units may be too much, but maybe apply UWT for all units within X tiles from the unit that moved just before TC? So, So, there was an attack or a road-build or something on tile (10,10)? Nobody moves in an area 3 tiles away from that tile in the next 10 hours.

So, what exactly the examples of abuse?
wieder

Post by wieder »

Acting as a unitwaittime bomb for some area might work. Like for as big areas as, the unit previously moved, could move with max moves. Yeah, that's good.
Corbeau

Post by Corbeau »

I don't even think you need to have as many tiles as the unit just moved. If a horse came from afar, it doesn't mean where it came from, it matters where the action is. Maybe even that tile and the 8 tiles around it would do. That's why I asked: what are the examples of possible abuse?

Hell, maybe even only that one tile?
Last edited by Corbeau on Fri Dec 07, 2018 7:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
jwrober

Post by jwrober »

Wieder - What problem are you trying to solve with these suggestions? I could use a bit of context. I thought that with unitwaittime (UWT) you were pretty much stuck to do nothing with your units for 10 hours after move. This means that if you move your units 10 seconds before TC then you can't do anything until almost the middle of the following turn. You and play with stuff your cities are doing mid-turn, but only so much of that is going to work in your favor as well. This is honestly why I have never really understood the whole RTS thing that folks complain about.
Corbeau

Post by Corbeau »

One example I can think of: just before TC, worker moves and builds road. Just after the TC, a military unit (cannon) rushes from the rear and attacks a tile in front of the road that was previously thought safe(r). And it all happens within one or two minutes at a very specific time of the day. If the opponent isn't online to react in those one or two minutes, it's a lose.
jwrober

Post by jwrober »

I guess I am too linear. I never would have thought of that tactic. I am in favor of adding a per user wait time. Would help the scenario you gave. Would also help with those that stay online a lot during a turn. Keeps you from being able to make a ton of changes in a single turn. Maybe something like 4 or 5 hours for the per user wait time.