Production, pollution, city growth

The follow up to the more experimental LT40. Based on LT40 but with more features, more units, new buildings, new techs on the tech tree and with improved unit based tech trading. LT46 will start sometime in 2020.
Wahazar

Production, pollution, city growth

Post by Wahazar »

Excessive pollution and global warming appear to be a common issue in LT games, even nuclear winter can't overcome this.
Probably high town radius, which can generate both large number of inhabitants and huge production level, is responsible for that.
during creation of my "advanced modpack", I created some fancy buildings, which tamper unlimited town growth or make pollution more localized, but I don't want to discuss it there, instead, I propose to implement such features using existing buildings (so no graphics is required).

1. Factory production/pollution: 25%/50%, except of: iron in city range, in such case 50%/100% as usual.
2. Power Plant: 25%/50%, except of: coal or oil in city range, in such case cumulative 50%/100% as usual
3. Additional city growth limiters: Mass Transit for 24, Recycling center: 32.

Such change would yield in high production (especially these on the medium game stage) limited to less number of towns (thus it is easy to clean pollution), and pollution limiters are also city growth limiters.
Corbeau

Post by Corbeau »

When I play solo, I never have problems with global warming.

If you want to prevent global warming, clean up.

If you want to prevent other players from deliberately causing global warming, kill them. End of story.

There is a reason why global warming is in the game at all. Either respect that reason or remove it altogether.
Wahazar

Post by Wahazar »

Thanks for digging this dead thread up, all dead deserve to be live :)
I have no problem with pollution in singleplayer while playing standard rulesets, but it consume much more resources to make fleet of engineers and clean pollution while using LT rulesets. Thus my conclusion are valid - LT make pollution overpowered and it needs to be tempered.
Of course those who are using pollution as a kind of a total weapon would be disappointed - I recommend classical warfare (nukes).
wieder

Post by wieder »

There are two fixes for this. First we have this new cool patch that will make the global warming and also nuclear winter adjustable so that we can try to look for better values for triggering the effects.

The other option was made for LT46 and there the less polluting power plants are made more reasonably priced. In reality less polluting plants cost much more but wouldn't work for a LT game. That because the less polluting plants become available when the player already has polluting plants and replacing the old ones is quite expensive. That's why the less polluting plants should cost almost the same or in some extreme cases even less than a polluting one. This has not yet been tested on a real game but it's already implemented.
zoltan

Post by zoltan »

Pollution effect takes place before it is even possible to clean up.
Corbeau

Post by Corbeau »

zoltan wrote:Pollution effect takes place before it is even possible to clean up.
Well, then, that is the thing that needs to be fixed.