New Unit suggestion.

Finished (team)
Lord_P

New Unit suggestion.

Post by Lord_P »

Having triremes that can go on rivers is an excellent addition to the ruleset. So useful for moving stuff around within your own lands or invading others.
Unfortunately the possibility of building triremes is lost after Engineering, and if you have Leonardos workshop your existing triremes will be uprgraded to transports. So the ability to sail up rivers is lost when your ships become more advanced! ???

So, I think it would be good to have a modernised version of the trireme available, that can be built after researching Amphibious Warfare.

Unit Name: Landing Craft
A 0 D 3 HP 30 Move 10 (So same defence as transport but less moves)
Still only coastal but able to move on rivers.
Transport capacity still only 2 or 3, but able to carry all unit types, including big siege and mounted (Armor).
Could use the Ironclad icon, as this will already be obselete.

Triremes would upgrade to this unit.
wieder

Post by wieder »

Not a bad idea.

Would it be understandable enough if the new and enhanced trireme would use the same graphics as the ancient one? I would prefer to not use ironclad graphics for a new trireme because it may be possible to tweak the ship settings to create a reasonably good and usable ironclad. One way to do that might be decreasing the attack of a frigate to 3 and keeping ironclad's attack at 4.

Or... we could add a 2nd transport unit with identical graphics to the transport. The difference would be that this unit could travel on rivers, would have less moves and could not travel deep ocean.

And for LT37, there is one way to prevent Leonardo from upgrading the triremes. If a trireme is outside a city and on a river tile, Leonardo will not upgrade it because it can't be upgraded on a tile where the upgraded ship can't exist.
HanduMan

Post by HanduMan »

Exellent idea!

For the graphics, please define something like

Code: Select all

graphic       = "u.barge"
graphic_alt   = "u.transport"
for those of us who might like to use a specific sprite for the new unit (sounds like a barge to me ;-)) in their personalised tileset.
Corbeau

Post by Corbeau »

...or simply allow transports to go on rivers?
sokrat

Post by sokrat »

Didn't know about trirem on rivers... so many improvements in a few years.

...Yes please : transports on rivers :)
Wahazar

Post by Wahazar »

Let me dig out this thread.
I get same idea - following river/coastal ships and barges tiers, which are limited to shallow waters but can go on rivers:
trireme (universal, weak, cap 2, no catapults)
galley (universal, weak, cap 3), feudalism req.
sternwheeler/paddler (at 0, def 2, cap 4), steam req.
river monitor (at 3, def 2) - worse than ironclad but can operate inland
tug barge (transporter, at 0, def 3, cap 6), combustion req.
missile boat (at 4, def 3) - worse than destroyer, but can operate inland

I can provide some sprites for transport boats.
The problem is, that civ modding is not easy, in terms of online client content update...
wieder

Post by wieder »

Yeah, it's not easy. That's why we may start experimenting with custom sprites for units that are still usable and understandable with standard ones. Like the missile and cruise missile on LT40, LT43 and LT44. Both use the same sprite but in the future another one could be using a custom one for those who have it installed.

The same idea goes for all the new units. They must be usable with the default sprites. A late game ship moving on rivers might work with the default transporter sprite but people might want to use custom sprite for it. On the ruleset we can define a preferred sprite for a unit like than and also alt sprite that is used when the custom sprite is not used.

The limitation is that if a default sprite is not usable, we really can't use the unit. Like a crazy spider creature ship that spits out carrier pigeons. There is nothing in the ruleset that would even remotely look like that.

Different typs of missiles and maybe ships are doable. Like the missiles and the longboat/trireme.
Wahazar

Post by Wahazar »

wieder wrote:...On the ruleset we can define a preferred sprite for a unit like than and also alt sprite that is used when the custom sprite is not used.
Is it not possible to automatically update content online? I'm asking, because openttd (open source clone of Transport Tycoon) have such feature (client can download on-fly graphics used on server).
There is already plenty of new graphics on the freeciv forum. If it is not possible to update client automatically using server settings, maybe freeciv developers would insert these graphics as option in next release?