The base ruleset for the WW1 scenario?

Planning phase: The second scenario game with advanced start and pre-built cities.
wieder

The base ruleset for the WW1 scenario?

Post by wieder »

Shall we use the SG1 ruleset as the base ruleset and make the necessary changes on that one? I believe the WW1 ruleset could use 2x moves just like SG1 had.

Any features or improvements you would like to see from LT40? The Underground Tunnels might work as they are an ancient idea. Not that or something else?
Sketlux

Post by Sketlux »

What about testing the ruleset in the Spanish Civil War Scenario? Just as a small scale test game. Im more of a fan of 3x moves. Maybe we could add the wonder "Fortification" to emulate the importance of fort cities like Verdun or Przemysl. Just one special fortification per player with a special defense bonus. Besides that Im still advocating the tech suggestions made here: http://forum.longturn.org/viewtopic.php?id=800
We could do a few test games since a rematch in scenarios is always a big problem and the problem of tech trading made SG1 weak and probably lowered the enthusiams for future scenarios.
That should give us a solid testing experience to go for SG2 WWI.
wieder

Post by wieder »

We can test that, yeah. How many players would be good for that one? We can open up signups and see if there are enough people. With LT39, LT40 and LT41 running we would need new players. Then again LT40 might not last that long anyway :D Or maybe it does. Hard to say.

if 3x moves are to be used, we could also use the LT41 ruleset as the base. Not too many differences there and it's more easy to make few changes here and there instead of changing the moves from 2x to 3x.
Corbeau

Post by Corbeau »

When you say "test game", do you mean 3 minute timeout or...?

As for replayability, it depends. A straight WWI scenario could be replayed many times if done right. Or even with different rulesets. Unification of Germany maybe not so much because that is really a story, and repeating stories doesn't have much entertainmnet value, but WWI is straight-out slaughter competition that can be repeated many times.

But seroiusly, if we are doing historic scenarios, the techs need to be historically accurate. I still think the main problem with SG1 was the wrong tech setup.
Sketlux

Post by Sketlux »

In theory 10. Practically only 6 active players. Its not much commitment since a few turns would be enough to test the eventualities but I guess everybody wants some fun so maybe test for 7,10 or max 14 days.
I mean the regular timeout, of 23h but would be open to a 15h timeout. Maybe call it "Fastturn" :-)

The techs are already in place. Sceanrio can be downloaded here: http://forum.freeciv.org/f/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=809
Sketlux

Post by Sketlux »

Looking again at the map maybe 2x should be enough.
cgalik

Post by cgalik »

Sounds interesting. I'd be interested in a SG game (as long as not playing too many other games at the time).
wieder

Post by wieder »

We can do a short game but maybe this time not lock it into that. It seemed that some of the players in SG1 would have wanted to play it for a longer time and some not. For a "test" game there could be a setup where a set of scores or something is taken at T20 or T30 or something like that. then some discussion if to continue or not.
Sketlux

Post by Sketlux »

Hadnt seen your post! Since LT39 ended Im all on board. Sure! We can put a break at T20 or 30.
Last edited by Sketlux on Wed Mar 14, 2018 1:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Corbeau

Post by Corbeau »

You can call it The Christmas Truce
Sketlux

Post by Sketlux »

If you open the registrations, count me in! Since its only the Spanish Cvil War places are limited.