Illegal Scripting.

Finished (team)
kevin551

Illegal Scripting.

Post by kevin551 »

Rule 1.9 states - Many players have local client modifications (patches). This is acceptable, as long as automatic attack, moves or similar functionality is not implemented.

One player in this game was using an attack script for diplomatic theft. I use the name Terror for that person. He was banned in LT30 but came back using a different name. I don't object to him coming back and am not surprised he continues to use his scripts. They are advanced variants of the old warclient scripts. I do object to his ugly verbal attacks on Edrim and am very glad he was beaten.

My curiosity though is who was the second player to try to use a diplomatic attack script. The server crashed twice because someone was using a broken attack script. The obvious culprit Akfaew is very unlikely, he would have tested it first, and as the admin he could just restart the server immediately it crashed. So who was it? Anyone know? Anyone want to own up?
sandain

Post by sandain »

I don't know anything about these scripts (but it does sound a little like cheating to me). However, I feel obliged to comment on the lack of respect that Tiger/Deragh (or Terror as it may have been) showed to the rest of the players of LT32. While trash talking between 'enemies' is to be expected and possibly even encouraged, there is an obvious line that was by crossed by this individual that left me with a foul taste for longturn. I too am glad that Terror was so badly beaten in this game, but I for one don't want to play in any future games with this prepubescent (or anyone else that exhibits the same behavior).
kevin551

Post by kevin551 »

sandain wrote: I for one don't want to play in any future games with this prepubescent (or anyone else that exhibits the same behavior).
The best way to deal with prepubescent behaviour is to collectively defeat it. Withdrawing from it just makes it harder for the rest of us.
For those who didn't see it Terror's city naming can be seen here http://akfaew.jasminek.net/crap/longtur ... p.T192.png
Look just to the right of the lower glacial ring.

Have been rethinking my original post above that there was a second player using diplomat attack scripts.
The error reporting and patch for the failed script is here https://gna.org/bugs/?21558
It is clear that the failed script was a spy attack not a diplomat attack.

I saw Terror use a successful diplomat script. (not successful in that he failed to steal anything but successfully managing automated diplomatic combat). There was no need for using the script. If he had waited until I was offline he could have done the same thing without automation. This theft was not time sensitive. The difference between Terror's attack script and the warclient one is that the warclient attack operates once. If the diplomat wins a diplo combat it is left standing there outside the city, perhaps with moves left. What I saw was a single diplomat arrive (and rapidly disappear) and inside the city my 12 diplomats were dead. My assumption is that Terror's diplomats keep auto-attacking if they have moves and then auto-disband. The victorious diplomats never stack up outside the city. The only reason he failed to steal is that he ran out of diplomats.

Terror abandoned the game soon after Espionage. He researched that tech himself but it was stolen and he lost it within an hour of getting it. He did upgrade a lot of diplomats to spies during that time. Perhaps it was Terror using the broken spy attack script.

The difference between a diplomat attack attack and a spy attack is that the spy attack has to answer a second popup to choose a tech to steal.
Warclient presumably did have a working spy attack script. Given the line in the changelog 1st Dec 2007 see http://freeciv.wikia.com/wiki/Warclient ... ient-0.9.6
'Fixed auto-diplomat feature for spies' steal and sabotage functions. '
So I am not sure why Terror would have made a mistake in this script.
mmm2

Post by mmm2 »

i really don't think anyone used a modified client or script...warclient is not compatible with this version.. warclient was written to be compatible for V 2.0.10.. 4-5 years ago there were a bunch of warciv players playing here (me, turbo, pablo z hradce, book, dddd, durandel, etc), but since then it's incompatible with the newer versions..
Last edited by mmm2 on Thu Apr 10, 2014 4:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
mmm2

Post by mmm2 »

kevin551 wrote:
sandain wrote: I for one don't want to play in any future games with this prepubescent (or anyone else that exhibits the same behavior).
Warclient presumably did have a working spy attack script. Given the line in the changelog 1st Dec 2007 see http://freeciv.wikia.com/wiki/Warclient ... ient-0.9.6
'Fixed auto-diplomat feature for spies' steal and sabotage functions. '
So I am not sure why Terror would have made a mistake in this script.
the feature was in the menu, to enable steal,incite,etc... all this did was bypass the dialog boxes.. so in that sense, you could spam with spies.. but again, this feature is rather pointless in an Lt game, where you normally move while opponent is offline... this is more conducive to a fast paced RTS action game where you have 200 pieces to move in 3 minute timeouts, and don't have time to click dialog boxes!!

book and pepeto were the primary dev's for the warclient (original author was "yaro", and before that going back to 1.14, Iuz)... even they had much difficulty upgrading to newest version of freeciv...
Last edited by mmm2 on Thu Apr 10, 2014 12:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
mmm2

Post by mmm2 »

btw, don't forget, there are some select all features now in the vanilla client - this has same effect as delayed goto, to move all pieces on tile, or all pieces on continent... it's possible what you thought was a script, was actually just a vanilla default script, you just didn't know about ?
kevin551

Post by kevin551 »

kevin551 wrote: So I am not sure why Terror would have made a mistake in this script.
It now seems the likely candidate for the non-functioning attack script was mmm2
mmm2

Post by mmm2 »

the only "script" i used in this last lt was select all units once against xercise in real time.. that is using shortcut key shift s if you didn't know that...
edrim

Post by edrim »

There was a game where one player was online 24h/day every single day.
If you are not able to make your moves you are trying to do something which broke this not able to play shortturn.
So we have invented modification in code that spies in gotomove once it will reach a city it will see what is inside and make n times trying to steal default tech.
It was before me and akfaew started administration, we have make a rule after this game that "It is common courtesy to log out and let your enemy do his moves in peace, after you have done yours", but some of players cannot accept this how it is written. Same time rule about scripting was done.
It is not so difficult if you have known how to recompile civclient to make many things like putting in messages all enemy activity, make spies attack more usefull and all other stuff. I used to it every time someone broke a not written rule to keep cool and play for fun. If everybody known that some things are only barely legal and exploit this in hudge scale only because nobody wrote that it is not legal i am trying to destry fun of this player by inviting some specials for him.

Another thing in this topic is team det0r names of cities, i dont care about it how they named it, if someone is a kid with not big brain and do not graduate yet to next stage schools i will not get pissed about it.
My team has a deal with them so we have had some decisions but they have backstabbed us very early, I cant belive that my playing bring so bad feelings in theirs team. Everybody can do with their cities what ever he wants. If someone hurt me in bad way and i cannot defend it is normal for me i wish all worst for that person. If I were in opposed side i would not piss off because someone try to revenge. But as i said i am not first school kid.
kevin551

Post by kevin551 »

We now have the answer to this puzzle - it wasn't mmm2 after all.
http://gna.org/bugs/?20960