Few screenshots of East Germany attacking at T211 (Warning! Amplio:)

Finished (team)
wieder

Few screenshots of East Germany attacking at T211 (Warning! Amplio:)

Post by wieder »

I took few screenshots of lt32 I want to share with people playing the game.

This was the only major attack where only East German units were used. I was actually quite isolated at the time and it wouldn't have been even possible to move there more than a handful of units from the rest of the team. This also was a gamble from me and there really was lots of luck involved. The outcome was good for our team, but I'm really not trying to brag with this post. There just was lots of complicated stuff together with some tricky restrictinfra and sometimes even trickier Zones of Control making it worth sharing.

Here is one picture from T207 showing the borders before any action (on that area) happened and two pictures from T211 just after I had attacked soon and akfaew but not yet cleaned up and removed the wounded units.

T207, I didn't take a screenshot just before starting the attack at T211 but it was quite like this one
http://s8.postimg.org/n8ev69ikl/LT32_T207_1.png

T211, the same area after the attack
http://s18.postimg.org/90jyg0ym1/LT32_T211_1.png

T211, a bit further on the same area. Conquering the second capital resulted with the civil war.
http://s27.postimg.org/kt5t85vxf/LT32_T211_2.png

The luck part? It would be cool to be able to say that this was just skill, but it really wasn't. Once the first capital was conquered, there was no civil war. The new palace was built almost next to the old one and it had reasonably few defenders. I was also very low on far reaching military units and the last spy in the city was killed with alpines with tired attack. Next time I will build more armors if I plan to do something like that.

The entire attack took about 3 hours of real time and there was no RTS. Respect.

These screenshots may be useful for players new to Longturn illustrating how much damage can be done in just few hours. The same kind of attack happened on LT31 where big islands with 20 cities were conquered in one turn. The difference was that in LT32 there was restrictinfra enabled meaning that you can't use the enemy roads unless you conquer the cities next to them.

One picture is missing and that's the entry point of this attack. I'll post it if I can find it at a later time. In total about 100 of my units were destroyed in that attack.

And yeah, I really use the amplio tileset for playing the game, loved by everyone :P
pipo

Post by pipo »

wieder wrote:I took few screenshots of lt32 I want to share with people playing the game.

And yeah, I really use the amplio tileset for playing the game, loved by everyone :P
Using amplio, I always knew you had a devious mind. :-)

Seriously, I was there for the last half of the attack and my tought was

"The Wieder has landed!!".

Cheers!
wieder

Post by wieder »

I can't possibly be the only player who is using the amplio tileset? Or can I? :DD

I might have started playing with the pro-tileset but it's just quite hard for me to see what's going on there. The tiles are too small and I keep confusing units and even nations with that. I wonder if there is another tileset with a bigger tile size.

Landed :))P

I had been planning that attack for some time but in the end it's always very different to go live with something like that. There probably is a cool quote for situations like that :PP

I have been very fortunate to play with (and against:)) the best players and this game was no exception.

Learning from the best (and some luck:)) made this possible.

That reminds me about lt31.

There was actually a big story about Freeciv and lt31 in a Finnish computer magazine Skrolli. When that story came out I online-translated few pages of that on irc. Maybe I could post it here.
NeverMind

Post by NeverMind »

Wieder, post the translation, please... And you are not the only player using the amplio, I also have such a devious mind ;)
ifaesfu

Post by ifaesfu »

Me too. I confuse the units, the cities and the terrain without amplio.
kevin551

Post by kevin551 »

Here is an explanation by jhh about the different tilesets.
http://www.freecivbook.com/blog/tag/amplio2/
Xercise

Post by Xercise »

Wieder, your Skrolli translation was great... you should definitely post it!
wieder

Post by wieder »

Thanks, but thank Meton for writing the original one :P

Here is the translation. Better late than never :DDd

http://forum.longturn.org/viewtopic.php?pid=3593#p3593