Server Down?

Finished (teamless)
ifaesfu

Post by ifaesfu »

Same here
ifaesfu

Post by ifaesfu »

oh, I didn't see elpollodiablo's message. Won't the hard disk be a seagate? I have the same problem with the BIOS caused by "sudden death" of the disk
elpollodiablo

Post by elpollodiablo »

Why yes, it is a seagate, how did you know ;)

I hope it recovers. I have several thousand loc for two projects on it that I didn't check in to git because of rewriting stuff ... and data rescue for this kind of calamity (changing the on-disk controller and re-programming it) is in the 700-1000EUR class.
ifaesfu

Post by ifaesfu »

I have to send my hard disk to Holland to try to flash the firmware. Fortunately, the guarantee expires in September 2013 (5 years), so they take care of expenses.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Seagate_Ba ... da_7200.11
Last edited by ifaesfu on Mon Mar 25, 2013 3:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
elpollodiablo

Post by elpollodiablo »

Ok, so remote hands says the disk is dead. I believe it could spin up again if the stars are aligned correctly, but it will take me at least a week to try that. And if it doesn't spin up with my magic hand waving, I will perhaps send it to a friendly forensics company that will most probably be able to restore the data - however, this will not before three weeks time, if at all (depends on how much of my code I haven't backed up/checked in and whether the hefty fee for professional data recovery is warranted).

Now I hope that akfaew has a recent savegame offsite, if this is so, we should be back up soon.

edit: I missed akfaews reply, that's pretty awesome that we have a recent backup! we should be able to make this happen shortly.
Last edited by elpollodiablo on Mon Mar 25, 2013 3:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
elpollodiablo

Post by elpollodiablo »

ifaesfu: under warranty, they usually just replace the disk and the data on your broken one is lost. That's the thing. And the guys who can rescue the data let you reward them handsomely (they also have to feature extreme know how, a clean room, a huge reserve of disk controllers/magnets/jtag/flash programming tools/reflow soldering workstation/...)
ifaesfu

Post by ifaesfu »

elpollodiablo wrote:ifaesfu: under warranty, they usually just replace the disk and the data on your broken one is lost. That's the thing. And the guys who can rescue the data let you reward them handsomely (they also have to feature extreme know how, a clean room, a huge reserve of disk controllers/magnets/jtag/flash programming tools/reflow soldering workstation/...)
I asked them for a "revival" of the firmware and it seems they have accepted because of this firmware bug. It seems they "only" have to flash the firmware.
Last edited by ifaesfu on Mon Mar 25, 2013 8:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Joris

Post by Joris »

Same here.
mrsynical

Post by mrsynical »

akfaew wrote:Server is back up again. I restored to just after TC.
That was relatively quick. Well done!
elpollodiablo

Post by elpollodiablo »

Kudos to akfaew, who maintained a thorough and current offsite backup. After firing up a new instance, it only took him the time it takes to upload the backup.
Last edited by elpollodiablo on Tue Mar 26, 2013 11:34 am, edited 1 time in total.