Bug in Tech upkeep

Finished (teamless)
bardo

Bug in Tech upkeep

Post by bardo »

The version of the ruleset that you used as base for LT31 enables the tech upkeep, but there is a bug in freeciv v2.3 that calculates a wrong number of wasted bulbs.
This is the error report that was fixed for v2.3.4: https://gna.org/bugs/?20063.

But the ruleset is not compatible with this fix. I suggest to disable the tech upkeep as soon as possible (in game.ruleset):
tech_upkeep_style = 0

Or to increase the divider to 2000 or more:
tech_upkeep_divider = 2000
Last edited by bardo on Mon Mar 04, 2013 11:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bardo

Post by bardo »

If you are using freeciv v2.3.1 or 2.3.2 it should not be that bad. It was designed so players lose a few bulbs for upkeep at the end of the technology tree. If you updated the game to v2.3.3 or v2.3.4, players would lose so much bulbs that it could be unplayable.
Which version are you using?

ifaesfu has reported that he is losing 20 or 30 bulbs per turns in the middle of the tech tree, when they should be 2 or 3. It looks like you are using v2.3.3, or the bug is worse than I thought.

EDITED
Is it possible to play Long turn with a client version different than the server version?
If the server uses v2.3.1 and a player is using v2.3.3, he would see in the interface a wrong number of wasted bulbs that are not really taking into account in the server. It would explain ifaesfu's report.
If this is the case, it is not needed that you change the rule settings.
Last edited by bardo on Tue Mar 05, 2013 10:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ifaesfu

Post by ifaesfu »

I haven't done sums to see if I really lose those bulbs or not. I'm using 2.3.4. I'll try to calculate the bulbs to see if I'm losing them.
ifaesfu

Post by ifaesfu »

Oh, I forgot about this post. I've been writing down all the number concerning the bulbs for 3 turns and, as I told in the game chat, I'm not really losing the bulbs. My client is showing e.g. 50-12= 38. But the bulbs added to the project are really 50, so there is no problem :)