Actions taken to fix a ruleset bug

Warciv ruleset, teamless
louis94

Actions taken to fix a ruleset bug

Post by louis94 »

Dear players,

Today several bugs in the ruleset was discovered that affected only one player. The effects of the bugs were as follows:
  • Units of the affected player were disbanded automatically when not in a city, with a 10% chance per turn per unit. All workers and all but one explorers were lost, apparently to this issue.
  • Partisans could not appear for the affected player.
The changes can be found on Github.

These issues qualify as a "bug that prevents the game from going on", at least for the affected player. The ruleset was fixed and the game reloaded. In addition, compensatory measures were taken to try and reestablish fairness:
  • All cities of the affected player were bumped by one size. There is evidence that at least one settler had been lost, and likely more.
  • The player was given 150 gold to buy new units (or anything else) with.
I hope that this will be sufficient and not give an unfair advantage. Please comment if you think this compensation was not appropriate.

Cheers,
Louis
louis94

Post by louis94 »

After some thinking, I came up with another solution that doesn't involve arbitrary reparations. I made a map with only a copy of the affected player's island, and I will let him play his first 25 turns again without the bug, in short turn. I will then copy back to the main map.

I think that this is the most fair fix I can offer.
louis94

Post by louis94 »

The edit has been made, which incurred 40 minutes of server downtime. Everything should be back to normal.